What's new

should I bi-wire speakers??? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I have an onkyo txds797 reciever and a full set of Infinity Alpha speakers. My 2 front speakers are alpha50's and are bi-wirable. manual says bi-wiring will improve sound performance but I am using Monster Z-series cable with banana plugs which is too thick to bi-wire. So i'm stuck on what to do. Do I keep my z-series cable and don't bi-wire, or do i bi-wire with lower quality cable. Don't know which will give me better performance. help please!!!

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely two schools of thought. Here is my own experience.

Having used 12g zip cord, I decided to build my own bi-wire set. Started out with quality 14/4 wire. Removed jacket and spun 4 cables of two wires. Then spun 2 cables out of the 4 yielding 2 cables with 2 sets of twisted 14g wire. At one end, the two cables were combined in a banana plug. The other end was to be terminated with 2 spades but they did not fit my speakers (paradigm studios) so I left them bare.

The entire cable was wrapped in nylon braid. I made 6 total cables, each the same length (10 feet) for the three front speakers.

I would love to say the difference was dramatic (driven with Denon 4802) but I can't. I remember trying to hear that the sound was better. After the time any money invested I thought that they should sound better. In any event, they look cool as hell. My listening area has a lot to be desired (too live) and that may be playing a part.

My 2cents - you have quality speaker cable, stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks