Should I be worried? Calibrators please read

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Aug 16, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I just got a call from my dealer they are finally comming in to fix my tv early next week (the tech had been on vacation for a few weeks)

now what worries me is they said they were just waiting to get a manual in and they would be good to go (i got this information forma message they left) so i am assuming they mean a service manual for my Toshiba 36HFX71

should i be worried about this?

all that needs to be done is the picture is slightly off center (about 1/3") and there is a slight geometry problem a curving in the bottom of the screen.

are these difficult things to fix? does anyone ahve any advice?

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, those should be relatively easy to fix - if they are fixable. I'd also be a little worried if they are "waiting" to get the manual in - let's hope they read it before coming out to your home [​IMG] Typically, the problems you describe are common for flat tube sets and are something the adventurous owner can tweak on their own with a copy of the service manual. One thing I like about the two Toshiba sets I own is that I have been able to get the service manual for them relatively easily and this has allowed me to fix problems on my own (warped geometry on the 20AF41, green grayscale on the 27A40).
    btw, can I ask, does your model accept a 480p signal from a progressive scan dvd player and does it do the 16x9 vertical compression with that signal? There has been some discussion of this with the new line Toshibas - the 32HF72/32HFX72.
    cheers,
    --tom

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

As far as I know Tom it does do both... however that being said I Havent had the opportunity to check this out as I am lacking a progressive scan player. I know for some reason it dosent do the compression properly with my PS2, however i believe thast is a problem wiht the PS2 not the TV (the PS2 dosent do progressive scan yet)

In a week or two i will have had the opportunity to borrow an RP-91 and try it on my tv so i will post the results then.

and tonight i will check my manual to see if that answers my questions.

I was considering trying to fix these problems myself, but since my set is only 1 month old id rather not void my warranty yet, especially when i can get soemoen to fix it fo rme where it wont void my warranty.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, do let us know. I'm not sure when I'll pull the trigger on a 32 inch HDTV-ready set but one of the features I'd be getting it for is 480p 16x9 mode. No sense buying it if it doesn't do that. I'd rather wait another 3-4 years and hold out for a 34 inch 16x9 widescreen set for