should I be worried? blue not in good focus

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ming Wang, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

just got my panny 53wx42 last week. did some tweaks and couldn't get blue to good focus. in center it is acceptable, but only a very small area in the center. closer to edges, the lines are really blurry. tried both optical and electronic focus (but I didn't go back and forth between them, just did manual first, then e-focus). however, the overall image when playing DVD looks good to me (but this is my first big screen, so don't have much idea what a great image really should be [​IMG])
    should I be worried about that? is this common or should I exchange the set to another one?
    TIA for any suggestions.

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I've heard that it's normal for the blue gun to be more difficult to focus than the other two. I've noticed the same thing on my Toshiba RPTV. You probably don't have anything to worry about - especially if the picture looks good to you.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Blue is purposely defocussed a little on all rptvs, has something to do with blue being the weakest tube as far as light output due to available phosphors. They defocus blue to increase it's brightness without overdriving the phosphors.

Unless the picture looks bad when watching regular stuff other than test patterns, it's probably best to leave it alone.