Should I be watching in 480p or 1080i?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ToddP, Oct 3, 2003.

1. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a Pioneer Elite pro530-hd, and I'm still climbing the upslope of the learning curve of HT. The pro530 seems to upconvert all 480i inputs. You can select from either 480p or 1080i to watch any input. I've read multiple times that the Elite monitors have a very good de-interlacer built in, so I'm going to hold off on upgrading my non-prog dvd player for now (I'm working toward upgrading my receiver first).

My question is, should I have my tv upconvert my non-prog dvd player to 480p or 1080i?? Along the same lines, should I be upconverting my SD-sat input to 480p or 1080i? When I do eventually upgrade to a high-end prog scan player, will the tv recognize that, and no longer give me a display option, or will I still have to choose from 480p and 1080i? In that situation, should I just leave it in the native 480p mode, or upconvert the progressive signal to 1080i?

My one question seems to have become three or four, but I'm still learning here [​IMG] Next step is to figure out all of the picture menu options beyond the normal things I'm used to.

2. Lawrence X

Lawrence X Stunt Coordinator

It depends on how well your TV upscales. Look at both and decide for yourself. I have an upscaling DVD player that looks noticeably better on 1080i.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I also have a 530, and generally don't see much difference in the 480p and 1080i signals. Your are correct that the Elite does not accept 480i, it will either be upconverted to 480p or 1080i by the Elites Pure Cinema III line doubler. One dvd where 1080i is noticeably better is Attack of the Clones. As Lawrence stated, you just need to try both settings and see which you prefer. There is no right or wrong, just whichever you think looks best. One doesn't really have a big advantage over the other. I myself don't really see too much difference between them.

When you do get a progressive scan player, you will input 480p to the set, and bypass the Elites built in line doubler. However, you can still choose to upconvert to 1080i. Having a progressive player does not take away this option. Again, you just need to play around, some titles may look better at 480, and others at 1080. I myself generally just allow native 480p from my dvd player, except on Attack of the Clones. Setting to 1080i on this title makes a noticeable difference and the detail is much better. Other titles I don't really notice much difference. Hope this helps.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The 1080i upconversion adds artifacts to the image on the 530 elite compared to the native 480P from the DVD player.

Use the resolution patterns on AVIA to see for yourself.

Regards