1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I be scared of an 80Hz crossover?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon W, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Damon W

Damon W Extra

I have recently sold my old receiver (Sony STR-DA50ES - the one with the remote that snacks on batteries) and am in the market for a new receiver.

I like the specs on the Denon 3802 and the Integra 7.2, but I noticed that both of them have crossovers that only go down to 80Hz. My main speakers are Klipsch Chorus IIs which can easily handle anything down into the mid 20s. Do I really want to rob my mains of everything below 80Hz???

BTW, I'm also in the market for a new sub - currently considering the dual SVS 25-31CS+ with the Samson 1000 amp. I'm sure the SVS can handle everything between 20 and 80, but it seems like those 15" drivers on my main would grow bored.

Can anyone recommend another similarly priced and spec'ed receiver that goes below 80 (preferably 30 or 40)? And yes, I know the Sony 5ES does, but I kind of want to try something different than Sony this time around.

2. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

3. Damon W

Damon W Extra

And I assume you can turn off the high pass X-over?

Thereby sending everything below 80 to the sub and sending everything to the mains?

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Damon,

If your speakers are TRULY capable performers down to the mid 20's...run them LARGE and they will be able to get the full signal that they are capable of. The 3802 will give you this possibility. Otherwise, 80hz. IMO is a good X/O point, even for large speakers. Realize that even with an 80hz X/O, you may get a full octave of sound below that to your speakers. If you get an SVS, that's what these subs are built for....to handle th 15hz-100hz bass info. They (SVS) will do a better job than any speaker handling this info...so why not let them?

MY $.02

Jeremy

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

To add to what Jeremy said:
    Using an 80 Hz crossover means that you will still have sound being sent to your mains down to 40 Hz (1 octave down).
    And be careful: even though your speakers may be able to "easily handle anything down into the mid 20s", that doesn't necessarily mean the response is flat *and* distortion free. Plus, have you seen measurements, or are you just believing the company's marketing? [​IMG]

6. Damon W

Damon W Extra

Thanks for the help guys...I may still go with the Denon or Integra then.
    And yes, the speakers do go down to the mid 20's unless that meter was lying. [​IMG]

7. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

For what it is worth, you may notice that a great deal of the reviewers in the HT magazines always set the crossover at 80Hz if you are using a subwoofer. They seldom go lower, even with high end speakers.