should I be looking anywhere other than locally for Energy Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ace, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Ace

Ace Auditioning

price is a big deal to me, so I would like to get the best "bang for my buck" that I can.

I heard that Energy stopped most of their Canadian online stores from selling speakers to the USA.

I was just curious if anyone knows of any other avenues to look down to get cheaper-priced speakers than what I can get locally. I don't know of any other online retailer that sells Energy.

Thanks for your time!

Ace

2. Steve Carlo

Steve Carlo Stunt Coordinator

Ace,

The only online dealers authorised by Energy are in CA, WA, OR and one other state. They are not allowed to ship out of state! Check out their web site, there is a list of dealers (http://www.energyspeakers.com) and I know there is an Energy dealer in Iowa City if you feel like a long trek. I couldn't even find any non-authorised outlets when I looked and ended up buying Mirage (which I like a lot)

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

4. Ace

Ace Auditioning

Thanks, guys. I wasn't aware that dealers weren't allowed to ship out of state. So, I guess i'll buy locally. [​IMG]

Phil: I believe a dealer here sells JBL as well, so I'll have to look into those. Thanks!!

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Well the price I paid for my Takes definately win the best bang for the buck. $317 w/sub brand new in box's. I love friends who get dealer cost[​IMG]

6. Ace

Ace Auditioning

Great price, Jeremy!

On a side note, when buying something from a dealer, will they usually haggle with the price, or are they pretty much set in stone?

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I dont see how the test results can be accurate considering all 4 satellites in the Takes are exactly the same and the Center also has the same tweeter and midbass drivers. I'd really like to know how they come up with those results. I've never been one to trust Sound & Vision myself but thats my own opinion & no I'm not trying to defend my purchase I have no need to, I listened to many speakers including the JBL's and finally settled on the Energy's for my own personal taste in sound. I've also had no problem getting them more than loud enough for my personal tastes as well as being curtious to my neighbors though I've rattled stuff off there walls on more than one occasion. The Energy Exl-S8 sub packs quite a punch for its size. and also quite a frequency response for its size outperforming many subs that are larger including by JBL in low frequency extension. Listening to anything at 106 DB is just rediculous and getting to the point of being dangerous to your hearing. I'm quite happy at 85-90 Db. I've had my fair share of Car Audio gear that could well over 140db in car and working in a night club that got as loud as well so I take it a little more easy these days myself.

9. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Ace:

I am aware of several internet dealers offering Energy speakers. Did you do a "Google search?" What models do you want?

10. Ace

Ace Auditioning

Mark:

Really? I couldn't find a single thing!

I'm looking at the C-1 & CC-1 for the front, and the XL-150 for the rear.

Possibly even the C-5's for the front if they're a good enough price.

My local dealer pricing is:
    C-1 $249/pr (front)
    C-C1 $299 (center)
    XL-150 $185/pr (rear)

Thanks for your time!

ace

11. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I paid $190 for my C-1's from a local dealer. At the time I didnt realize how good of a price that was.

12. Ace

Ace Auditioning

Andrew,

No kidding? That's quite a discount. Was that their asking price, or did you talk them down to that?

I should go in there today and tell them I've heard of people getting them for that cheap, and see what they tell me.

Unless you want to go buy me some sets from your dealer & send them out... [​IMG] j/k.

13. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

14. Ace

Ace Auditioning

15. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Ace:

I just got out of the hospital, or I would have responded sooner to your question.

Last summer, I was very interested in getting Energy speakers, and I found several Internet retailers who had a pretty full line of Energy products. I subsequently moved on to other speakers and lost sight of these guys, but I still had a couple of them bookmarked in my browser. I checked after seeing your post, but all I have found are the Take and Encore packages, or the Veritas line. I made a couple of phone calls to learn that they can't get the Connoisseur line, so I am sorry if I mislead you. AudioAdvisor offers Energy products from time to time, but they don't have what you are looking for. Neither does Sound Pros or Elegant Audio, so I am afraid I can't help after all. From what I am hearing, Energy has really been cracking down on their dealers selling over the Internet. I am going to check with my local Energy dealer tomorrow--if he can do better, I will e-mail you.

Alternatively, if Energy is what you really want, offer to buy the package from your local dealer for 20% off (which is about all that a PARA dealer will do these days). If he won't bite, consider buying it in pieces--first do your fronts, then add a center channel and the surrounds last. Good luck, my friend

16. Ace

Ace Auditioning

Mark,

Wow! Thanks a lot for the response!

I'm leaving for New Orleans tomorrow morning, but plan on going to my local dealer on Monday when I get back. I'll see about them giving me some sort of deal.

I talked to a few friends in Canada, and had them call some local dealers, but after the exchange rate (even before taxes & shipping), they were a good $30 higher just on the C-1's! I was quite amazed. The exchange rate to Canada is rather high at the moment, apparently.

I wouldn't mind buying through someone else at all, but I would think it would have to be a pretty good deal to make it worth it.

Thanks again!

ac.