What's new

Should I be concerned about this physical defect on my Willy Wonka DVD? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I returned the disc once but the replacement has the same defect. It appears black when you look at the data side of the disc but when you hold it to the light, the light shines through. Its very thin perhaps only 1/2 millimeter or so thick and it extends from the outer edge of the metallic data area only to just outside the edge of the artwork on the other side (you can see it on the artwork side too). I dont really know much about how far out on a DVD the data is or which part of the movie is on what part of the disc so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

I can't say I've ever seen this, but while the disc is still in print I'd exchange it as defective. Doesn't sound good.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The light shines through virtually any DVD if you hold it to the light. Unless it's got a heavy lable on it

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, you should look through a 24k gold audio disc! It's virtually transparent when held to a light source. Those are as high a quality as CDs get... That should tell you something about the DVD.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I know that DVD's are translucent but on this particular defect it is completely transparent and only so at the point of the defect. Basically I'd like to know how far out on a disc there is data, which part of the movie is on the outer portion of the disc, and if error correction should be able to handle this.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You said it extends to the edge of the artwork. THe artwork is opaque, which is why that's as far as you can see.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Does the film play ok? You didn't say if it does or does not. Data does not go to the very outside edge of the disc as mentioned above. Same for CDs. By the way, a company is now pressing CDs that are entirely one dark color on the data side. I have blue and black discs and they play fine on my computer and CD player.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I haven't watched the movie all the way through yet, but if this is potentially a problem I'd like to return it anyway in case years from now I decide to listen to the commentary or something and I run into a glitch. Strangely enough, when on the bonus features menu, I hit Stop on my remote and the player locked up, it wouldn't shut off so I had to unplug it. I think something like this may have happened when I first got the disc. (I've had it a while and haven't watched the whole movie yet.) The defect is in the metal underneath the plastic on the data side but is visible on either side because it is basically a hole in the metal. When looking at that artwork side I can see that the the length of the defect extends to almost the beginning of the artwork. I was just giving a reference point as to how far in the defect goes I guess part of what I'm asking is if there is data all the way to the edge of the metal surface underneath the plastic. Obviously there is not data on the edge where there is no plastic underneath. I've seen many discs where the edge of the metal portion was a bit uneven or frayed so I would hope not all of it is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks