Should I be concerned about Dust on my AVR?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joel()Les, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

My new AVR is a NAD 753 and I just noticed that it is deeper than the shelves on home entertainement center cabinet. As a result it is going to hang out about 2" beyond the unit and lack the dust protection of the cabinet unless i build something to protect it such as a ledge above it to keep the dust from falling directly on it.

Should I take steps to shield it from the dust (while maintaining good cooling flow) or is it nothing to really worry about from a performance standpoint?

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

While dust is never a friend of electronics, I doubt you have much to worry about.

Be thankful you don't live in the Southwest--our dust is legendary.[​IMG]

DJ

3. John S

John S Producer

I live in Denver, close enough to the southwest, to have indicated to my significant other that when she dusts, she needs to dust all my components as well.

She took it well.. lol

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Dusting surely won't hurt your components. I dust mine regularly, if for nothing more than for health reasons. Oh, and it makes your components look better. There's nothing attractive about a dusty piece.

5. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

Only the back will be exposed and its in a hard to reach spot and out of normal view. The equipment is in a cabinet and we keep the doors closed when not in use. For my NAD, I have to cut off the back of the cabinet and let it stick through so it will not have the same protection as before.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Dust is everywhere in the air and does not "fall" from the air like rain. If air is touching it, dust will settle on it. No major worries.