What's new

Should I be ashamed to admit to being a Journey fan? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
...I saw Journey twice in the 70's at Winterland-SF, they rocked! They played with UFO and Montrose.
Frank, your last sentence jumped out at me! I've seen UFO (one of my all-time favorite bands), but you actually saw Montrose live? DAMN!!! :eek: :emoji_thumbsup:
FWIW, Infinity and Evolution are my favorite Journey albums. The common thread? Gregg Rolie was still part of the band. ;)

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Jeff, yeah Montrose really rocked that night. This was UFO's first US tour, they actually opened the concert with Journey 2nd and Montrose was the headliner. Everyone loved UFO, they were'nt well known back then(1974-1975)
Michael Schenker is still 1 of the best rock guitarists around. :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>(I know I'm going to be ripped on for this one)

It's better to be a Journey fan than a Rush fan.

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
(I know I'm going to be ripped on for this one)
It's better to be a Journey fan than a Rush fan.
It just so happens that Rush and Journey are my two most favorite bands.:D

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said...I knew I was going to be ripped :)
There are definately two kinds of people in the world. People who like Rush and people that don't. To each his own.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
There was a time in my sarcastic 20's that I thought these older bands were just milking out the money and needed to let it go.
But then I wisened up. A lot of these guys really just love to rock. And besides, no one comes down on Tony Bennett or Frank or even Babs. Sure it might be because of who their core crowd is SUPPOSED to be, but you know what, with some of the lame shows going around now I think a solid Journey, Foreigner, Alan Parsons, Yes, etc show is HELLA better and more young kids should give it a chance.
Besides, 2 of the greatest shows I ever saw were guys "milking it". Alice Cooper on the Operation Rock and Roll tour (with Priest, Motorhead) and Kiss when they first put the make up back on.
If you have great songs, they should still be great.
And I also NEVER miss the chance to catch Cheap Trick in concert. Great bands, artists, can always bring it and will give you your money's worth.
I don't believe music should come with an experation date, and I regret ever thinking so.

Brian O

Second Unit
It's better to be a Rush fan...and a Journey fan. Checkout Journey 2001 DVD. Very good stuff and a great vocal job by the newer Steve.:)
Good music is just that, whether it was 20 or 50 years ago. It is NOT necessarily what is being played on MTV and what your buddies think is cool. Life lesson for the youngsters.:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Seth said:
I don't believe music should come with an experation date
Well said. However, some music is rancid the day it hits the store shelves. I'm sure we can all think of examples. :)
When I was in grad. school in the mid-'90s, I saw Boston, Yes, and Pink Floyd in concert (different shows). Boston and Yes played the same outdoor amphitheater in Indiana (Deer something; Seth, perhaps you know it). Both bands rocked. Gone were the days when Boston and Yes played arenas or stadiums, but these bands rocked anyway. I saw Pink Floyd at Soldier Field in Chicago on The Division Bell tour, and of course, they were outstanding.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Keith,
That would be Deer Creek in Noblesville, IN. Deer Creek is a great place to see an outdoor concert. It is actually now called the Verizon Wireless Music Center. :angry:
I don't know what outdoor venue I like more Deer Creek or Alpine Valley. Probably Alpine. I just love the Wisconsin atmosphere. :)
-Dean-

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dean,
Yes, it was Deer Creek in Noblesville! Thanks! I didn't know that the name was changed, but I am not surprised to see a corporate name attached. :frowning: Anyway, Deer Creek is a great place to see a concert. I've never been to Alpine Valley.
All,
Talk about being ashamed, I received some CDs from Columbia House today, and in the mix was The Best of Eddie Money. Do I save face by the fact that it only cost me $3.99? If that isn't good enough, I also got Led Zeppelin Early Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Volume One and Latter Days: The Best of Led Zeppelin, Volume Two. I hope that is good enough. :crazy:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I'm ashamed, yet again. In the mail today, I received a copy of Scandal Warrior from Amazon. Remember Scandal with Patty Smyth? I got the disc for $8. It reminds me of freshman year in high school (1984).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I like Patty Smythe's voice, but she was terrible at either writing songs, or choosing songs to record (there are a few of her hits, but her solo stuff isn't all that great (besides a few duets here and there). I liked Scandal's "Warrior" album.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I agree with you. I like the "The Warrior", and as I said, the song has sentimental value, but I bought the CD mainly for a good laugh.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
gee can i start a "Should I be ashamed to admit to being a E.L.O. fan?

i Love Journey plus a whole lot more of the 80's bands. this one will get you all laughing.

my all time favorite band is......... A Flock of Seagulls.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My now Ex-friends used to torture me w/ Journey. They knew that I didn't like their music so whenever I was in one of their cars they would crank it and leave me in utter agony. Of course those were the days, when they told me that Metallica was crap and that nobody wanted to listen to them. A few years later, they were torturing me w/ the Black album.

AHHH memories!!

But to answer your question, you should never be ashamed of anything that you truly like. I have a lot of artist that I like that I'm sure people would make fun of me for.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Anybody who can sing the line "we all need the clowns to make us laugh" with a straight face is OK in my book. And who doesn't love the riff at the end of "Who's Crying Now" or fall to pieces at "Faithfully"? No, you should not be ashamed at being a Journey fan. Just be good to yourself and don't stop believin'.
:laugh:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
What's to be ashamed of? You've got a fantastic guitarist in Neal Schon. A fantastic bassist in Ross Valory. Two great keyboard players have been a part of the band...Gregg Rolie and Jonathan Cain. They've had some wonderful drummers, including jazz-great Steve Smith and the current Deen Castronova. And Steve Perry and Steve Augeri are hard to beat as far as vocalists go. Throw in some great songwriting skills and you've got the complete package as far as bands go.

I think people tend to focus more on the ballad part of their catalog, completely ignoring the rest of their material. This is a shame because there's some great rock tunes on their early stuff.

Another positive is their great relationship with their fans. They love to play live and tour. And they keep in contact with their fans via their website.

So don't feel bad. My Journey stuff shares the same shelf with my Perfect Circle, Tool, and System of a Down albums. A little variety is the spice of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks