Should I be ashamed to admit to being a Journey fan?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Patrick Sun, May 5, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Did a little bit of volunteering at a beer tent at Atlanta's Music Midtown weekend event, and got to see Journey play in concert tonight (with the new singer), and I was pretty amazed at how close the new singer sounds like Steve Perry. Anyhow, the old hits were enjoyed by everyone in the big crowd on hand for them, while the newer stuff was so-so (no one really knew the words/music). It was fun to sing along with the band (relived some good high school memories and thus knew most of the words to their songs).

Neal Schon did a nice guitar solo of the national anthem, and the rest of his guitar play was very nice. It appears 3 of the main members of Journey are still playing (Neal, Ross Valory, and Jonathon Cain), and they have a new drummer as well.

They still sound great, and the hits are pretty timeless if you grew up being a fan of theirs in the 70's and 80's.

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I have always liked them and they do have quite a few great songs.

For some people because of Perry's voice they were an aquired taste but they did sell alot of albums in their day.

JohnG

3. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

It will be far more embarassing to be a Limp Bizkit fan than a Journey fan 15 years from now. At least I HOPE so.

4. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

My brother pisses me off because he knows Journey is my favorite band and he says they are washed up has Bens. When he says this I have to show him my dvd and state my thought that they can still sell out anywhere they play.

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have fond memories of Journey's from my high school days. But to be realistic, I think Journey's best days are behind them, in terms of being a big stadium act. But I certainly don't care as long as the music is still good. I read in a recent Neal Schon interview that Journey has left Sony Music, and will be moving toward a harder sound. On a related note, Neal Schon and the new Journey drummer (forget his name) is working with Sammy Hager and Michael Anthony on a side project under the group name of Planet Us. Was supposed to have a song on the "Spiderman" soundtrack, but I don't see it. Looking forward to it though.

6. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Journey has been one of my favorite bands for about as long as I've been listening to music. I consider it one of my guilty pleasures. 'Don't Stop Believin'..maybe my favorite song.

I saw them live once with the new singer and was blown away! Yeah, the new album is kinda eh... But Trial by Fire (that one from 96) actually has some great stuff on there. They might have a few more good songs in them, but I just can't imagine a 'hard' Journey like Danny refered too..

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I also got the impression that the new guys are bringing a harder rock sound to the new Journey material. Their drummer is a really hard worker on the drums, so that might add to the hard rock sound. I don't foresee many tender ballads from them now.

But if you are a fan, and they are playing in your area, you owe it to yourself to go see them, I don't think you'll be too disappointed (in the old songs).

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

9. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I just recently got married and our first dance was to "With Your Love" on the newest Journey album Arrival.

Journey still can belt out the rock ballads and turn out a good rock song. And like any album Arrival had the hits most people will sing along with, and their are the mediocore songs. All and all I thought Arrival was a good album.

Also if you guys enjoy lead singer Steve Augeri, I would recommend picking up the 1 album by the band Tall Stories. Steve is the lead singer of the band and IMO shows off his vocal talent better there, then in Journey. The album may be pretty hard to find it came out in 1991. Also Steve was lead singer of the band Tyketto for 1 album in 1995. I have not listened to this album.

For some reason I didn't like Trial by Fire. I may have to give it another listen, maybe my opinion will change since i've last listened to it a few years ago.

"Girl can't help it" still is my favorite Journey song

Paul

10. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I really liked the early Journey, when Greg Rollie was in the band. I liked his voice much better than Steve Perry's. Plus they had a more bluesy style which I liked better. It really helped Neil Schon show that he can jam.

11. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

12. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I'm with Dean. If you have to ask... [​IMG]
    You realize that this opens the door for the Should I be ashamed to admit to being an Air Supply fan? thread.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Journey is silly fun, and I like them for what they are. I don't have any of their music, but I'll probably pick up the SACDs at some point.

It's "chick-rock," but it's good chick-rock, and I'll take it over Bon Jovi or Poison any day.

NP: Miles Davis, In Concert, CD

14. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

What Mike said.
    I'm always happy to sing along when one of their songs gets radio play. Plus, I really miss the video game.
    [​IMG]
    NP: John Williams - The Magic Box

15. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

16. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Ahh... the "make-out music" of my high school days. I don't need Journey any more now that I am married. [​IMG]

17. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Journey's first 2 albums are still my favorites. When Steve Perry joined the band, I stopped listening. Ansley Dunbar was 1 of the best drummers around, back in the day.
    If any of you have'nt heard their 1st 2 records, check them out, totally different than the "chick rock" Steve Perry days. [​IMG]
    BTW, I saw Journey twice in the 70's at Winterland-SF, they rocked! [​IMG] They played with UFO and Montrose.[​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick asked:

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jon said:

20. Zack Scott

Zack Scott Stunt Coordinator

(I know I'm going to be ripped on for this one)

It's better to be a Journey fan than a Rush fan.