What's new

should I avoid velodyne ct series if I'm into music ? (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I dont see why.
The ct series has always reviewed well...for both HT and music applications. As long as you pick the size unit that will provide you with enough output in your system/room without straining...you should be fine. Onecall has some of the CT's on sale right now btw.
TV

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'd go with the CT-100, actually! better hurry if you want the Vel though 'cause i think i read that onecall's prices are only good thru the 30th or 31st-- call to make sure. $299 for the Velo is a steal. if you're on a budget, i'd definately go with the Velodyne. it's $100 less than the JBL.
just my 2¢

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I just listened to the CT-120 mated with some Polk towers at CC the other day in their listening room and it really integrated well in all applications. I had the same reservations you did, so I had them do a music demo and it sounded great with rock and even better with jazz. Highly recommended.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Vin

Supporting Actor
Anthony, the Velo CTs are fantastic sounding subs for both music and HT, IMO....I have the CT-120 and before that the CT-100. With the great deals that can be had on these now, I really don't think you could go wrong.
If I'm not mistaken, you've been contemplating a sub for a while now (I'm sure I responded to a couple of your posts)...come on bud, pull the trigger already and get a sub!
wink.gif

Vin

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I will agree with those above that the Vel is fine for music. Actually perhaps better for music than for HT, but fine for both.
If you want one cheap, I just bought one of SVS's new monsters and have a CT 100 that I need to sell. It is in great shape, email me if you are interested.
Tim

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I have the CT-120, and it is great for music....I listen to more music than watch movies, and this sub was perfect! Its subtle for non-bass intensive music, yet can pound hard and fast for "bumpin" music!!
I would have no problems recommending this for music and/or movies!!
Matt
------------------
Sony DB930
Pioneer DV-525
Mitsubishi WS55807-Widescreen baby!!
Paradigm Titans-mains
Paradigm Atoms-surrounds
Paradigm CC-170-center
Velodyne CT-120-subwoofer

Peter Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to go the other way. I audition all the velodynes I could afford about 18 months ago when I bought it all. I could not afford the FSR (well I could the 12", but not enough output) or the HGS series.
I found the CT series very average for music. Slow, and distracting. Some will argue it was the room, but I placed a VA-1250x on the exact same spot, and the sound was significantly better. It was the CT-150 I demoed.
I went with the VA-1250x, which BTW is not exactly fantastic for music either.
The HT/Music switch is an EQ switch if I remember correctly. HT mode is a boost at 25Hz or something..

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree with Peter..
Very Good for HT.. tad bit slow for music.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks