Should I attempt to build the Audax AV Setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KrisPfeiffer, Jun 7, 2002.

1. KrisPfeiffer

KrisPfeiffer Extra

Hi.

I'm pretty good with tools, and I've been building out my basement. Now it's time to think about speakers. I've been wanting to build my own speakers for a while now, and the Audax Home Theatre setup available from Madisound sounds like a good deal. The best part about this is that the speakers will be hidden behind some acoustically transparent fabric, so they don't have to look good at all - just sound good.

One question I have is the joints - butt joints are shown in the plans - is this ok? Should it be a reinforced butt joint (e.g., with a baton to reinforce the joint)?

Should I be scared of this upcoming venture? Should I forget about it and buy some Paradigms/B&Ws?

Clueless,
    Kris

2. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I built the Audax Home Theater Kit. It was pretty easy to build. I built a test but joint and then destroyed it to see how strong it was. The MDF failed and the glue joint survived if this gives you any indication of the glue joints strength.

I am very happy with the sound of the Audax Home Theater kit. The L/R speakers sound great on music and HT. The center channel is wonderful. I did not build the Audax subwoofer. I think you can do better with a Parts Express DVC 12" or an Adire Audio Shiva.

3. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Ditto Greg's remarks. Easy to build, and sounds great. Butt joints are fine and pick a differ sub.