Should I angle my mains away from listener?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Okay. Here's the deal.

My mains are all too close together. They're inches from the television. To possibly simulate them being further apart, would it be wise to angle them away?

Thanks for any help.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Most people recommend placing the main speakers ANGLED IN, toward the listening position. I think that you may create a more diffuse sound field by angling them out, but that could destroy the sound stage. Would it be possible to move the speakers further away?

3. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

No. That's the problem. It's a bedroom setup and believe me, I've exercised all my options. This would be a last resort deal. I realize I'd loose some staging, but was curious if I would gain any larger sweet spot and, like you said, diffuse the sound somewhat. I guess I'll experiment with it. [​IMG]

4. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

Like anything else try it and test it and see if you like it. Angling them in, aka, "toeing them in" may result in a better stereo effect, but if they're rather close together having them facing strait forward is the best option I think.

5. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Toe in is speaker and room dependent. Straight on is slightly unusual and I've only heard of one or two say they like toe out. Try it but be patient, speaker placement is a slow process (at least for me).