Should I add this speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff S, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

First for reference here's my setup:
    Denon 4802 receiver
    Boston VR-950 mains, VR-12 center, Definitive BP1X surrounds
    Boston PV600 sub.

Now, that VR-12 was upgraded from a VR-10 center, which I still have in my posession, and have been unable to sell it.

I want to recycle that VR-10 into making it a rear center channel, however my couch is along the back wall, so any sound wouldn't so much be coming from way behind you, but more like, behind and on top of you. Should I do it? I'll have to run another wire back there, but no problem on that, and I'll build a small shelf to hold the vr-10.

Problem is, once I set this up, and if it doesn't work I'll be too lazy to take it all back down. but I can't stand haveing a wasted speaker any longer.

Any big negatives to this that spring to mind? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you can pull your couch off the wall atleast a foot, then I would probably go for it... if the couch MUST me flush against the wall, I probably wouldn't worry about it. That said, I would probably still hold onto the speakers so if you're able to make changes in the room to accomodate it, it'll still be there waiting.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

OK, I tried it with setting the speaker up on top of my couch back. It sounds good, but of course very very close to you (if you lean your head back, you'll touch the speaker). I set the distance on it to 1ft on my receiver, so timing is good, but its hard to get it to have that "behind you" quality unless you're the one sitting in the sweet spot.

Also FYI: My couch is a sectional, so moving it 1 foot out would push the other section into the wall. But thanks for the suggestion Stephen, but I can't sacrifice anymore space.

Overall though, I'm going to go ahead and mount a shelf to set it on the wall permanently cause I believe despite its location it does sound better as 6.1. Also I'll mount it a foot up so no banging your head into it by accident when anyone leans back. My bedroom being 14x12 isn't going to allow me the proper specs for speaker placement, but it still sounds great. Hopefully one day I'll have a bigger room, and that's when all the ideal placment and lots of separate amps comes in. One day! :)