What's new

Should home theater discs such as Avia be used on all televisions, not just RPTV's? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to purchase an Avia setup disc.... I have the 34 Inch Sony Widescreen Trinitron XBR HDTV television.

I have heard much about the Avia set-up disc but it always seems to be used when referring to RPTV's....is it worth it to use it on my television?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I have a Sony 34” widescreen XBR800 and highly recommend configuring with a disk such as AVIA. If for no other reason, the ambient light in your room will likely be different than any ideal configuration. I actually have three different settings: one that I use during the evening with minimal lighting, one for moderate lighting and one for daytime, with sunlight coming through the windows.

And if you have not done so already, you might try putting your set in either ‘movie’ or ‘pro’ mode.

until you have calibrated, of course.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
AVIA was intended for use with all types of displays. Every consumer TV sold requires extensive calibration (unfortunately).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would use AVIA on a 13" TV so long as I wanted to duplicate the colours as they should be.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses. Lew, I currently only watch dvd's in movie and pro mode because I have found that the picture looks SIGNIFICANTLY better in these modes. I will definitely pick up the Avia disc to calibrate the television correctly though, I suppose this will possibly make standard mode look as good as movie or pro?

I'll do some research on the Avia disc but will be buying it and using it. If I've spent this much on a tv, I should definitely have it calibrated so that it looks it's best! Thanks!

How much does the Avia disc usually cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks