Should glare screen be perfectly flat on RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik J, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Erik J

Erik J Extra

I got one of the new Panny 51" 4:3 HDTV sets delivered a little over a week ago. I've noticed that the glare screen is slightly warped in the upper right corner and has a small dimple in the center/right side of the screen. My room is fairly bright in the daytime and it's noticeable on dark scenes or widescreen movies. I tend to tune it out after awhile but I still know it's there. I need to keep the glare screen on because of the occasional child or dog at the house. Is this a standard problem with RPTVs or should I be asking for a replacement? Thanks!

2. Erik J

Erik J Extra

Anyone? [​IMG] Thx!

3. JamesFarina

JamesFarina Agent

I recently purchased a toshiba 61" rptv and it also has the protective screen. I haven't been able to notice any warping. If i was you i would try to find out why it is warped. are the fasteners too tight, are the mounting holes mis-aligned. see if you can find the cause then we can go from there.

JIM

4. Mark Norman

Mark Norman Extra

I have a 61" Hitachi Super Ultravision and have the same problem. When I contacted Hitachi they said since the prtective screen is so thin that in bright light I would notice this. But since I have a dedicated room it doesn't affect me too often.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I do not think it is possible for an RPTV screen to stay completely warp free, it is certainly going to sag with age.
    The only way the front surface could stay warp free is if it were a 1/4 inch or thicker plate glass panel, that would make the TV set much heavier and more expensive.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm