What's new

Should DVD-A use Jewel Cases and Hybrids? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Wondering what your opinions are. With the release of the Rolling Stone hybrids on SACD it seems to me that the typical customer can upgrade a remaster and move to higher resolution wheter they are aware of it or not. My reasoning for my question is that it eliminates the need for special shelf space both case size and format differences.

Benefit for the record companies is that it allows for music to be released in a more secure format too!

I've got DVD-A and am in love with the sound and features. They just really have to do something about the interface and really consider the use of 24/192 stereo on more releases as a standard as opposed to the 24/96.

What are your thoughts on this?

David

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, I would like to see all DVD-Audio discs released as DVD-Audio/CD hybrids in standard-size (CD-size) jewel cases. In addition, I would like to see the DVD-Audio consortium mandate the inclusion of a discrete, high-resolution stereo track on all discs.* This mandate should state that the stereo track be a minimum of 24/96 in cases where the original masters are analog. In cases where the original masters are digital, the mandate should be that the stereo track at least match the spec. of the master (e.g., a 24/48 master should be offered as 24/48 on the disc, and perhaps 24/96 or 24/192). I sometimes wonder if taking a 24/48 master and converting it to 24/96 or 24/192 might do more harm than good.

* I realize that Silverline could not adhere to such a mandate since they do not have the rights to stereo material. In my opinion, the stereo mandate would be an excellent way for the DVD-Audio consortium to drop Silverline, which is contributing nothing more than a quantity of titles anyway.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
That would be great to have hybrid discs. If DVD-A is ever going to thrive, there needs to be hybrids. That also goes for SACD. There needs to be time for the average consumer to covert over to SACD and DVD-A. This also needs to be done since there aren't portable SACD or DVD-A players, as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks