Should calibration be significantly different between brands?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Aug 3, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

May 1, 2000
    I went from a Sony 700P to a Toshiba SD5700 DVD player. I thought the settings might differ somewhat, but not this much. Using Video Essentials to calibrate, I came up with these changes:

Sony Toshiba

Contrast 35 25
    Brightness 50 42
    Color 47 60
    Tint -9 -12

These settings apply to the Progressive signal; the Interlaced signal was virtually the same as the Sony's progressive one.
    Reason for posting: Has anyone else experienced such a difference in settings between players? Lastly, the Tosh varies significantly in color, bright, etc. between Progressive and Interlaced signals. The Sony stayed identical. Is the Toshiba a problem unit? Thanks
  2. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Apr 1, 2001
    I just upgraded my JVC 723 player to a Denon 3800. I did make some changes, but they weren't very big ones. The main differences I noticed were in my color and tint settings, which were both increased.
  3. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

Oct 27, 2000
    David Martin
    Going from an interlaced Sony player to a progressive Panasonic caused big changes for me, mainly with brightness. It increased significantly. Even geometry was slightly different. I still use the Sony sometimes too so this isn't ideal. I have different video settings for both players but am stuck with one geometry setting.
    I auditioned 3 prog scan players before deciding on the Panasonic CP-67. One reason was because I couldn't get black level set correctly on my Sony HS10 tv with the new Sony 655P.