Should brand of surround speakers match the front speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve*MH, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Steve*MH

Steve*MH Stunt Coordinator

I am considering matching my front end of Paradigm Reference (Studio 100s, CC450, and Servo-15) with a different brand as I want a surround speaker with the capabilities of switching from monopole to dipole so that I dont have to decide which is better for what applications and just flip to switch and decide myself. I emailed Paradigm and no word on this type of speaker in the future. With voicing concerns, timber matching, how important is it to have the same brand for fronts and rear speakers? Anything to watch for in matching a surround speaker? Looking at the Snell Acoustics surround--any other suggestions of similar quality to Paradigm Reference or above?
    Thanks.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Ideally yes, but I cant tell the difference when the surround speakers aren't matched. As long as the front three are matched its good enough. This is just MHO. There are people that advocate the use of same full range speakers all around and they have their valid reasons. For the most part I however cant tell the difference during movies and I am a believer in 2 channel stereo so it dont matter to me in music either. But that't just me.

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with Yogi. Do you plan on listening to a lot of multi-channel SACD or DVD-A? If so, that could swing you a little more in favour of trying to match as best you can with timber. With just movies, however, I would not be too concerned. Just ensure that the pair that you buy has the same quality as your other speakers.

nb. I have the Studio 60v2, Studio CCv2, PW-2200, and Mission 700 for the surround. Most of my music listening is in 2-channel.

4. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Timbre matched above @ 80hz is a good idea, especially if you like multi-channel music...

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

BEST bet would be to bring the speakers home to audition and see what YOU think [​IMG]

6. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I think it's impractical to think that many people could do a proper A/B comparison in their home given that having the ability to switch back and forth between surrounds may pose quite a hassle to whomever is setting up the equipment...I also like differant types of speakers but would not consider using one paradigm as my right speaker and one B&W AS MY LEFT, even if I got some outrageously good deal on the singles.....now ,while I will set aside that some manufacturers make surrounds with ,perhaps, better dispersion characteristics , I would then look at the speaker package as a whole...If you are looking for a higher caliber (dare I say "more expensive")set of rears than you have up front then I would assume that multi-channel IS important to you and therefor a good reason to match....If you truely don't care much about multichannel and want to sinkmore money into the mains and front amps, then I understand the "better allocation of funds issue", but Ithink many of us former "2 channel only " fans are starting to care more and more about multi-channel.....

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

8. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I would agree that the home is great for auditioning, I merely said it was impractical....I would assert that ussualy we could believe that if we A/B'd two or more sets of speakers in the same environment (wherever that may easily be done) they would both be in the same environment and therefor the environment as a variable would be minimized......Of course, if you want to discuss the differant "dead" vs "live" room concept, then I would have to say that this makes an even stronger arguement for matching all speakers in your listening environment...I have placed two sets of speakers in the same position(almost) in the surround positions and had someone switch the wires from the one set to the other (using bananas for speed)and they didn't tell me which was which. I RECOGNIZE the limitations of sonic memory so ,what I ment was that buying two sets of speakers and enlisting the help and set-up skills may not be convieniant....

9. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I think what Matt was trying to say was that for the most part people want direct opinions/recommendations when asked. Instead of the generic "try it for yourself" answer which everybody knows is the best way but definitely not the most practical or have access to that. Basically less manual labor (so to speak) the better :b

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was always unhappy with SS until I got 5 identical speakers and the sound stage came together. Eeven with a 'matched' center speaker I could alays tell where the sound was coming from.
    I think its the reason there are so many "2 speaker fans" out there
    If people had a different left and right,there would be a big Mono fan base out there too!