What's new

Should books be banned on flights? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It has been several days, and I've not seen any detailed specualtion in the mainstream media--though to be sure there is plenty on the net (including calls for detail in this thread).

It would seem as though the media is more restrained than some citizens.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the current methods of detecting explosives have some problems with liquids and plastics. It's already been pointed out how common liquids can be combined to form something greater than the parts. In the case of books, imagine if you will a hardcover book where the inside of the hardcover is fabricated with plastic explosives. All that'd be necessary would be to attach a timing/triggering device with some wires to the explosive and boom.

Maybe there's been an over-reaction and things that were banned initially aren't now. I happen to think that's just a natural defensive reaction to a threat that's somewhat unknown. A circling of the wagons if you will.

It's a real pity that England signed some kind of multi-national agreement in 2003? where they can no longer execute people. If these people are guilty, they ought to consider charging them with treason and simply executing them like they did with Lord Hee-Haw, the Nazi propandist back in the '40's.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
England did away with the death penalty even for treason in 1999—nothing at all to do with an international agreement, although one may have been signed later. Even if so, it would make no difference, as it had already been abolished.

Other than for treason, England has not had the death penalty for many, many years—certainly a good portion of my adult life. Perhaps Andrew will know.

Every place is not Texas. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Good on the brits for eschewing barbaric practices and taking the enlightened road.

--
H

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they only gave Kim Philby a few years for spying for the Russians and then when he was released he headed on down to Angola to further stick it to the British. Personally, I find nothing barbaric with carving out cancers and putting down someone who looks like a human but does unhumanly acts.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I too see no problem with this, especially after a fair trial and motion to appeal. I guess this is what separates the "barbaric" USA from the rest of the "enlightened" world, we give them a trial and places like the former Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, Rwanda, China, Cuba, etc., just dump them in a mass grave. Not to mention the theocracies that cut off peoples hands for stealing and behead women for not wearing a full body wrap. Yep, we're the barbarians (although applying that term to what the US does in contrast to what real barbarians did/do is kind of silly, no?).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, no comparison to any state, nation, or system will take away from the barbaric nature of the practice in question, here or elsewhere. It's pointless. Irrelevant even. And really, the scope of the qualifier was intently narrow. Expanding it to conver an entire nation is your doing, not mine ;).

Anyway, I too feel that the draconian security measures were probably necessary while the powers that be sort out their bearings.

--
H

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It will certianly be a bummer if I am never again able to sneak my own booze onto a flight. However, I do believe in security and would much rather survive a flight than get drunk on it.

mylan

Screenwriter
We seem to have gotten off on a political/pro or no death penalty tangent here, all relevant information, but still.
My wife and I picked the "perfect" time to resume flying again after a ten year period. We decided to go to Vegas to celebrate our tenth anniversary because that is where it all started. I have almost gotten over my fear and I read where X-Ray cannot detect explosives in shoes! I can't figure out why I can't have a paperback book that TSA officials can flip through to check for hidden things. I have no problem with checking everything else.
Sorry, I feel better after having gotten that off my chest, you may continue.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

My point was that it is quite easy to heap derision upon a nation that upholds your right to deride it, compared with criticizing those that do not. I'm not saying you are doing this, but I do find that those who criticize democratic nations as barbaric are often slow to criticize truly barbaric regimes such as those mentioned above. One must always try to temper accusations such as 'barbarism' with just how far along on the number line of 'barbaric' the practice is. I think you and I both agree that the death penalty as metered out in the US, while it can be debated how far along the line it is, does not compare with other, truly 'barbaric' practices elsewhere. If the US is to be found 'lacking' compared with 'enlightened' nations, it certainly can be argued that it is not as far down the deep, dark mineshaft as many, many others. Just as a comparison to the superior nations is meritorious, I don't feel you can dismiss a comparison to the truly inferior, if debate is what is desired.

**Please notice that although I could have, I did not rely on the old "Relative Morality" defense which states "No one has the right to judge other cultures, especially one I sympathize with" and has been used on this very forum to defend the most truly "barbaric" of practices. I'm not that bankrupt when it comes to either morality or debate. ;)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Al Quada and allied groups have been tinkering with liquid explosives for some time (elements of hezbollah used it in the early 1980s). It's the kind of thing that appears in internet bomb handbooks. Intelligently evaluating risks is important for combatting terrorism.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, if'n you're not going to terminate them, then you better find a way to put them away for the rest of their lives where they can't infect others or get out and give it the old jihadist try again. I know people are uncomfortable with the idea of the death penalty. It doesn't give me a great feeling either. I happen to think that you fight an enemy or a war the way it needs to be fought. Otherwise you're about as effective as a bunch of men marching in red coats through the forest drumming away. If they're prepared to die because somehow there is a glorious reward in the afterlife, then it's important to find out what it is they find important and cherishable and go after that. Terrorize the terrorists. That's what the Russians did back in the 70's or 80's when one of their diplomats was kidnapped. They found out who was responsible, got one of their family members and cut off a body part (an ear?) and sent it to the terrorists. A pretty clear message that more parts and perhaps from other family members would be forthcoming. Barbaric? You bet. Horrific. Absolutely. The diplomat though was released.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I thinks it's hilarious. Until I sit on the toilet shitting water for hours on end. :)

Thais - percent intolerant 98%

Woo hoo, we're in second, what do we win? :D

Back to the topic at hand, isn't this another situation where economics will determine the ultimate outcome? Given there was a time long ago when airlines competed for your dollar, won't some of these restrictions hurt the companies? I remember a time when drinks and meals were included in the flight. Now you're paying cash for headphones? And with some personal items getting thrown out the window, only the insane or the businessman would want to travel airlines.

AjayM

Screenwriter

Terrorists have been using "liquid" explosives for quite some time, I'm sure we all have heard about the subway/bus bombings in London not to long ago, Phillipine Air 434 was a test run for a similiar plot 10+ years ago, etc.

It's not difficult to create it, granted the chemicals used aren't the most friendly, but they aren't all that bad either.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Probably standard operating procedure. Remember, the Soviets didn't try to coddle their political dissidents. Unlike the FBI, they had no pesky qualms about applying electrodes to sensitive portions of the perp's anatomy... They knew how to deal with civil rights movements in Russia. And morals? Why, morals just get in the way!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm not condoning everything in Russia Jeremy but this particular approach was particularly effective. BTW, recall what happened to the four Russian diplomats in Iraq that were kidnapped as the situation was handled in a civilized manner?

Marianne

Supporting Actor

You can still smuggle something if you're naked - all you need to do is ..... never mind! ;)

What about the latest threat - D.O.A.P. - DELLS ON A PLANE !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks