1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Should books be banned on flights?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Adam_S, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I stopped taking a laptop on flights a while back. Yes, in part security. But mostly because I realized that damn, making me work on a plane smack too much of being a work-a-holic, and I can use an hour or two break here and there. And the one time I tried to stow my laptop overhead, the bastard ended up banged all to hell. I've had better luck packing it in a heavy laptop back and checking it.

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

Supposedly, items that have been confiscated in Phoenix have been collected for the purpose of donating them to the poor, or some social agency. I suppose they don't care if the poor blow themselves up, or maybe they don't really believe these things are dangerous.

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

I'd say it's a bit of both. I lock the doors of my house when I'm away (and when I'm home) despite the fact that there are thousands of cops in the area doing police work and investigations and such.

Imagine if there were no security at all at the airport, what do you think will happen tomorrow? Obviously it's a silly example, but with no security at all, lots of bad things will happen. Obviously somewhere a line has to be drawn, not many people will fly if they have to be naked and submit to a full body search while Fed-Ex'ing their belongings to their destination, neither of the two ideas work.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Sheesh. And the missus and I are supposed to be flying to the US next month on vacation.

I'd like to bring my laptop, not so much to use on the plane but whilst in the US, to check email, maybe surf for information on tourist attractions and restaurants etc, but I don't trust baggage handlers and would much rather carry-on if possible. I've heard too many stories of bags getting pilfered. And with the requirement of using those locks which the authorities can open with a master key/tool for security searches, that really gives me no comfort.

I still can't figure out why books and magazines would be banned. Unless they were to be used as "kindling", and were pre-soaked with something flammable? Or is there some new-fangled plastic explosive that can be rolled out like paper and printed on like paper? That would be truly frightening.

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

What is all this grousing? Are you just venting here?
    Have you really considered if, during flight you turned your volume down on your i-pod because ‘something’ caught your attention. And in the next 30/60 secs you knew beyond doubt that there were snakes on your plane. ( [​IMG] in a manner of speak).

There are millions of flights and what’s the percentage? But when it happens it is somebodies just like you.

No one has indicted yet that these measures to this extreme, are permanent.
    It is triaging during a freshly breaking emergency to assure ‘something’ does not get through when a specific and immediate threat was intelligenced. Can you imagine the back room head shaking which went on, when it came down through the system. “We’re going to have all the passengers do what?!!!!”
    Has anything like this ever been asked of passengers before? It was credible or they would not have fubarred the whole system to this dramatic degree.

I’ve seen Andrew's posts for a long time, he appears a considered intelligent man. His cryptic comments and choice of profession have nothing to do with the actuality that he could indeed be privy to in-depth information not currently publicly traded, - via a highly credible source.

Instead of reacting to sand in the face, he is trying hard to maintain the reticence desired & necessary during on-going high risk situations.

The world wide web, and our globalized media machine are a huge liability, when everyone who knows anything ... have to scoop it.

Certain airport locations, and it is NOT smart to readily advertise the whereabouts via the web and in media, do not have to sustain this level of security, because the threat was specific to some (not all) locations. That alone should tell you the degree of intelligence involved.

Rant off but I would like to leave you with a link: click here.

Skip all the long explanations in between and scroll directly down from top to stop only on the actual transmissions, (which are in Italics.)
    Take a second to remember that the disbelief and chaos you hear in these sentences are made by people on the ground still living in relative safety, trying to get on top of an incomprehensible highly mercurial situation.

Remember the first 5 minutes you saw the footage of the Twin Towers. I was watching before the second plane hit. I will never forget it.
    I think its time for a national ad campaign like the bad old days
    ...something like “Loose lips sinks ships”

Have patience with the people trying to keep you alive.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Henry Gale

Have you considered UPS?

7. andrew markworthy

EDIT The whole thing is now somewhat academic since the regulations are being relaxed somewhat - you can now take on a bag (no larger than laptop carrier size), mp3s, mobile phones, etc, but still no liquids.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Or can be made of disguising their true material of construction.

andrew, what did happen to the various people who were arrested last year?

9. andrew markworthy

I don't know if the key suspects have come to trial yet. Some have been released.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And thus showing how reactionary the kneejerk security changes were.

11. andrew markworthy

Oh dear ...

If there had been a plane brought down over the last couple of days, why do I have a shrewd feeling that you'd have been at the head of the queue to berate the authorities for not doing more?

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You don't know me at all then.

I still haven't seen a single justification for books/magazines to be banned. I've no problem with the attempts to ban liquids because of the threat that was broken up. I still haven't seen any justification of why pouring suspect liquids into one big vat is the right thing to do in light of the threat either.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

A big measure that they need to do is make going to the restroom something that is controlled, and making sure that nothing is brought in there that could be harmful. Because all of these plans that came to light involved going to the bathroom to do something (mix liquids, detonation device assembly, etc.). Perhaps a patdown by a steward/stewardess, etc. I don't have all the answers, but I think something along this line is a necessary next step.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that it is pretty much to be expected to see some local variances that don’t make much sense in the detail as these kinds of safety measures are implemented. And too, overreaction in the first few days, is to be expected.

I’ll be more concerned if sanity does not prevail after a couple of weeks—and even more concerned if there was not too stringent an implementation of new safety measures during the first few days.

Unlike some other instances, it is clear that in this case the government was not crying ‘wolf’. Perhaps because it was the Brits who were in the lead.

15. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

No thanks. Show me the evidence. Then, I'll trust you.

16. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I disagree, because stringent new safety measures are starting to be relaxed does not mean they were not necessary at onset of crisis but could imply the immediate threat within a couple of days was neutralized.

17. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It could imply that the threat still exists, but the cost benefit of keeping the restrictions in place wasn't justified. For all I know, it could have been a publicity stunt designed to promote the British anti-terrorism bill.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

(Deleted due to a lack of a sense of humor in the audience).

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
  20. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I thought it was funny, because I'm lactose intolerant myself. But I'll delete the joke, because if someone perceives a joke to have racial overtones - rather than using a fact for humorous effect - then the whole mood is brought down. And that wasn't my intention.