Should be simple, but having trouble

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BradCR, Aug 3, 2003.

1. BradCR

BradCR Extra

I looked through the posts but don't see the answer to my specific question.

My set up is:
    JVC amp RX-8000
    Panasonic DVD RP56
    Sony 51" widescreen - KP51WS500
    Hitachi VCR F382A
    Polk Audio front speakers, Bose Rear
    No sub, no center (yet)

Being only somewhat knowledgeable on hooking all this up, I believe I need to change some of my settings to do what I want to do.

I have my cable split and connected to my TV and to my VCR then from my VCR to my TV. I have Audio coming from my tv to my amp. I have my dvd video connected to my tv with component cables and my audio connected to my amp with an optical digital audio cable.

My problem is that I can't get the sound from my tv to play through my amp with surround sound etc, when I'm just watching cable (dvd is great). I want to be able to use my tv as my center speaker and just can't get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Brad

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Go into the audio setup menu and make sure that you have "Speaker" set to Off and "Audio Out" set to Fixed. Also, make sure you are using the Audio Out (It'll say something like VAR/FIX underneath) rather than the TV out. (I think the Audo Out is diectly to the right of the TV out on that set).

Also, I don't think you really needed to split your cable before the TV. Just hook the cable from the wall into the UHF/VHF connector on the TV, then run a cable between the TV and the VCR using the "To Converter" output. Then you can use composite or S-Video to connect the VCR to the TV.

Good luck,

adam

3. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Adam,

Thanks for the response. I tried the set up you suggested but couldn't get the sound through the amp. I ran audio out from the var/fix from the back of the tv to the "tv sound/dbs" audio in on the back of the amp (which is where the book says to come into).

My settings on the tv were as follows:
    Under Audio:
    Steady Sound: On (Off is other choice)
    Effect: TruSound (Simulated or Off are other choices)
    MTS Stero: Stereo (AutoSAP or Mono)
    Speaker: Off (On)
    Audio Out: Fixed (Variable)

Choices of settings on the amp are either TV Sound or Video. I tried them both. I even tried running the cables in to the phono sound in on the amp and set if for that. I got more sound but it was terrible.

I tried all sorts of combinations of the settings above but didn't get sound except for a barely audible sound when my amp was turned up real loud.

I turned everything off and turned it back on but got nothing. Do I have to unplug everything for the new settings/hookups to take effect?

Thanks,
    Brad

4. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

OK, your TV settings look OK (I would turn the effect/steady sound to off but I don't think it matters with the fixed out).

Run the audio cable from your TV's VAR/FIX out to the Receiver's TV Sound/DBS inputs like you first tried. Select the TV Sound source on your receiver (turn the source selector untill TV is displayed) and press the INPUT ANALOG/DIGITAL button on the front of our receiver until ANALOG is displayed on the lcd display. You should now get sound out of your TV.

Hope this helps,

adam

5. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

I just re-read your original post and noticed this:

6. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Adam, that worked. This forum rocks.

Thanks!

7. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

YAY [​IMG]

8. BradCR

BradCR Extra

The surround sound works with DVD's perfectly based on the settings recommended.

Now my problem is I don't get any output from the rear speakers when I'm watching regular TV (Cable). I've tried several settings changes on my amp assuming that is the problem but can't get to sound right.

btw, I recently got a polk sub.

My JVC settings that I'm trying to figure out involve Analog, Auto/PCM, DTS, Dolby Digital; DSP modes; 3D-phonic modes; DSP Modes;

Again, the problem is no surround sound when watching cable.

Suggestions?

9. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

you won't "really" get sound from your surrounds on regular TV. The audio signal from television doesn't carry discrete audio for the rear speakers like a Dolby Digital 5.1 track on a DVD or even some movie channels on digital cable or directv. Dolby Prologic (if turned on) will attempt to create surround sound with the audio provided, but it will be almost nothing. If you put your ear against the rear speaker you may hear something faint. That's just how it is. If you want artificial surround sound, you have to use a DSP mode on your receiver to create it. It is basically just going to be a portion of the front audio with some effects. I don't like it.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brad, from your first post:

11. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Tim/Wayne,

Thanks for the replies. My connections are similar to what you describe (Wayne) but I'll have to get behind the TV and make sure.

As far as it being circular, it is actually hooked up as you describe in your suggestion:

Quote from you:
    "The best connection scheme is to split the cable service feed and send one side to the TV and VCR separately."

That's what I did so that I can use PIP. I ran a coax out from the VCR to the TV so I'll make that adjustment to RCA cables and see what happens.

Thanks,
    Brad

12. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brad,

13. BradCR

BradCR Extra

I have been wanting to add a center speaker to my surround sound and started thinking about the speakers that are already in my tv which I apparently can't use through settings since they have to be set to "off".

However, I went into my set this weekend and disconnected the wires that connect the tv speakers to the tv and ran speaker wires from my "center speaker out" connector on the back of my amp directly to these speakers (inside my tv cabinet (sony 51"widescreen)).

Problem is I didn't get any sound when I set my amp with center speaker = large (since I have two speakers fed by one output - not sure if this is a problem or not). Any thoughts on settings I should try? I looked for settings in my dvd manual that might be overriding my tuner but didn't see any.

Thanks,
    Brad

14. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

WARNING

Impedence (or resistence) in PARALLEL cuts the value in HALF, it does not increase. So you just made your small TV speakers even smaller when you connected them, unless you did it in series.

I assume you went inside the cabinet from your post to the raw wires. Okay, risky, but for the more adventurous its workable. But if you just twisted together the 2 hot lines and the 2 ground lines so that the hot line from the amp goes to both TV speakers at the same time, then they are in parallel.

If they were 4 Ohm speakers, you now have a 2 Ohm speakers, not 8. To go in series you would have to tie the ground of one to the hot of the next one and then connect your hot into the first one and use the ground of the 2nd to come back to the amp.

To properly do something like you are trying you should really be familiar (probably in the spec sheet) with the size of the speakers you are connecting to.

Of course most amps have a breaker to protect it from an AMP output overload from a low resistance. In any case, its possible to do what you are doing, or perhaps to rig it using regular TV audio in by sticking an RCA lead onto the ends of your speaker wire, but all forms are rather tricky IMO.

Do a reality check first - hook up one of your other speakers as the center out just to make sure you are getting any sound out from the amp in a proper fashion.

15. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Seth, thanks for the response. That's exactly what I did. Oh well, live and learn....

If I understand what you're describing about hooking them up in series.....

+ from amp goes to + on speaker one;
    - from amp goes to - on speaker two;
    - on speaker one goes to + on speaker two

Is this right or is there a drawing of that somewhere that you know of? I have two mid-range speakers and two high-range speaker (tweeters I guess??) so I might be in over my head...I just hate to spend $200 on a center speaker when I have two pair of decent speakers already... maybe if I just hook up one set/side - they're directly under the screen so that would probably be fine - your thoughts?

16. BradCR

BradCR Extra

It's been a while since I posted but I have a new problem. I had to disconnect everything to change cabinets and now I can't seem to get my dvd sound right.

I have the digital optical cable coming out of my dvd player into the back of my amp but i'm not sure it's right. (not real sure it ever was even though it sounded good...) It appears that the audio in on the amp from dvd is some kind of composit cable not optical digital. I have the optical line plugged into the cd in on the back of my receiver which is where it was before. The settings on the JVC amp are very confusing to me and I can't seem to get it to produce sound on the DVD Digital setting. If anyone is familiar with this amp, your help would be very much appreciated on what the settings should be.

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brad,

18. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the book on the receiver again and the receiver is set up for digital coaxial connection from dvd or for digital optical cable from dvd. (I was wrong about it being plugged into the cd slot which is just below it but the labeling is a bit confusing).

So it comes down to my settings. I'm not sure if I should be using DVD or DVD Multi as the source (I think it should be DVD Multi) and then there are all sorts of other settings that need to be selected for this amp.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

That receiver comes from the factory with the DVD audio in assigned to the coax connection (Digital 1). You have two choices - (1) Go get a cheap 75 ohm video cable and hook up the DVD via the coax or (2) look at page 16 in your manual to find how to set the optical digital input (Digital 2/3/4) to the correct source (DVD). Essentially, (all from the front of the receiver, not the remote) you have to do the following:

Press the "Setting" button until the coax-in is displayed and then turn the "Multi Jog" knob until the source displayed is anything but "DVD". This will free the DVD up for assignment to an optical in. Press the "Setting" button again until the optical in (2/3/4) that you wish to use is displayed. Now turn the "Multi Jog" knob until DVD is assigned. This should do it, but please know I am going from the manual, not personal experience.

20. BradCR

BradCR Extra

Jeff, thanks for the guidance. that solved the problem of not getting sound.

However, i'm not convince that my settings are all correct. My optical cable is connected to Digital 2 and my Optical Digital In (via "Multi-Jog" knob) is now set to "2DVD". The Input Mode (foun on pages 16 and 17 of the instruction manual) shows as "Linear PCM". I would have thought that either Digital or DTS would be preferred but I can't seem to find the settings that produce sound for either of these.

I guess you can tell that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this so your help is tremendously appreciated.