Should animation mistakes be fixed for DVD Releases?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeathStar1, Nov 14, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

With all these TV Shows on DVD coming out, especially animation, something got me wondering. Would the majority of you like animation mistakes in shows to remain, or should they be fixed for DVD release?

Should like Ghostbusters that where produced on such a fast schedule, where a Ghost Trap would be yellow with black stripes for the entire episode instead of the other way around, or the Ninja Turtles where Leo would talk with Raphaels voice for a fully noticeable 10 seconds?

With the DVD, the producers now have the time to go back and fix all these errors. But would you rather have the errors in, or leave them out?

2. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I don't know that it makes a lot of difference to me. It would be akin to digitally cleaning up mistakes and fixing matte lines in films. As long as it doesn't alter anything major, I would probably be ok with it.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I would prefer them to be left alone, especially if it is a Rhino DVD, because their attempted "fixes" just make things worse. For example, look at their Transformers Season 1 DVD.

The film source they used for the DVDs were unfinished versions of the episodes, which contained a bunch of animation mistakes that were fixed before the episodes aired. Instead of using the fixed versions, they tried to fix some of the errors themselves, which looked horrible.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Fixing mistakes would be fine, but I would say that reanimating something that doesn't need it is going a bit too far. It wouldn't be a problem for me, unless the changes some how resulted in a change of a character or in a plot, but sinking the right voice to the right turtle would be fine.

Either way, I'd just want Ghostbusters on DVD.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Erasing cel dust is fine with me.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

7. David M.

David M. Agent

If they fix the colouring of the characters matching the voices to the characters, I'm all for it.

The Real Ghostbusters on DVD would be great, with or without the fixes.