Should a DVD w/HDMI be used with a receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay Tee, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Jay Tee

Jay Tee Auditioning

My receiver's manual strongly advises against sending an audio signal from one outlet into two speakers. I can see the sense in that but now I have a newly acquired plasma screen with an HDMI input. HDMI appears to be the future and I am leaning toward a DVD with HDMI but I can't help but wonder if undue stress will be placed on the audio components of such a DVD player if I connect it to the plasma using HDMI and still must utilize its optical output to send an audio signal into my receiver. Won't that be forcing the DVD to create and send audio out in two directions? Would that stress the internal audio workings so as to shorten DVD life expectancy or at least compromise audio quality? Might I be better off to get a DVD with DVI instead so that only video is going into the plasma and only audio is going into the receiver? Anybody have any thoughts on that issue?

2. Blashy

Blashy Agent

I'm curious to what the experts have to say.

I'm getting my new components today and I'll be using the hdmi of the dvd to connect straight to my tv and using an optical calbe for the sound going to my receiver.

So I am in the same situation as Jay Tee.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Jay, it's a no no to place the same post in two forums, just for your info. I'll answer it here the same way I answered it there - A DVD player will handle both the HDMI out and the digital audio out with ease. Just turn the speakers off on your TV and enjoy the surround sound.

4. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I wouldn't think it would be a problem as a DVD players routinely output multiple audio format signals simultaneously away.