Should '02 be THE year to wait?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferdinand Tiu, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ferdinand Tiu

Ferdinand Tiu Auditioning

Now that the major manufacturers seem to have agreed on an HD-DVD standard, dubbed Blu-Ray, it won't be long before HD-DVD players become available.
    More disturbing is the fact that the new HDCP and DTCP standards (visit the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity at www.hometheaterhifi.com for details) leave almost all current pioneering owners of HDTV displays out to dry. The standards do not allow for full HDTV resolution on analog outputs, the only kind which late model consumer TVs can handle.
    Having purchased a Mitsubhishi HDTV-ready RPTV last Christmas, this dirty little secret kept from consumers by the MPAA...vexes me. [​IMG]
    But all isn't lost, especially for consumers who have waited this long already. Shouldn't this be the one year in recent home theater history when you ought to postpone your purchases, both hardware and software, until true digital hi-def arrives? Isn't it clear that studios are going to milk the very same consumer cows who support DVD by re-releasing their libraries when HD-DVD becomes available soon? And while HDTVs have decreased in price substantially, the large sets warranted by a proper home theater still represent a significant expense for the average consumer. Why buy a TV now that doesn't support the new and restrictive digital standards around the corner?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Well, while you've been waiting, I've been enjoying my 16x9 HDTV with a progressive scan DVD player for 15 months, and enjoying HDTV via OTA for 8 months. How long is long enough to wait for the next technology before joining in? You'll spend your entire life waiting for the next big thing.

Personally, I do not think the movie studios will be embracing an HD-DVD format anytime soon. They are just beginning to reap the financial benefits of DVD, and will want to make sure they sell as much of their movie catalog in this format as possible before getting consumers to repurchase the same films again in yet another format. Let's see, first VHS, then LD and now DVD. Besides, the studios are also paranoid to release their property in such a high resolution format.

3. Ferdinand Tiu

Scott,
    I also have a 16x9 set, as I stated originally, and I also have a progresseive scan Denon 2800. I have been a supporter of DVD since the beginning; I even have an early production Sony DVP-S7000. Based on your link, I trail your DVD collection count by about 22 discs. As you can see, I have not been waiting. BUT, for people that haven't taken the plunge yet, waiting another year isn't the same as "waiting for a lifetime," as you put it.
    As for the studios' refusal to embrace HD-DVD anytime soon..well, I think you're wrong. I think the best filmmakers will want to showcase their work in the best home video quality available. Why else would Fox, Universal, Dreamworks, and Artisan back D-VHS (see www.thedigitalbits.com), a new competing hi-def digital format? Any copy protection scheme available on D-VHS, which makes it appealing to the studios, could easily be implemented on HD-DVD, levelling that point of argument.
    BTW, unless your 16x9 TV has DVI and/or IEEE 1394 inputs, the new digital connectivity standards leave you hosed, too. I bought my set believing I'd be able to enjoy full HDTV resolution in the near future; the new standard all but nails the coffin for nearly all current HDTV owners, as manufacturers quickly abandon the inferior analog interfaces.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I think most of the forward thinking talent would love for us (and them) to get our hands on super high quality video and audiophile (and I don't mean DTS or DD) sound for the home.

The paranoid (greedy) studios are the problem.

Dan

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Well, as the owner of a Mits set, Ferdinand, you will be able to get the upgrade module this summer that will at least have firewire, OTA HD tuner, Havi, 5C, and a QAM HD cable tuner.

Of course, if DVI becomes the standard, then we'll all be screwed. We'll just have to hope that they wait for the installed base of DVI products to take off before they start down-rezing through the analog outs and we'll have to hope that it takes awhile.

It is a matter of concern to be sure, but we'll have to wait to see how this whole thing shakes out and enjoy what we have in the meantime.

DJ

7. Ferdinand Tiu

David,

You can bet that I'm banking on Mitsubishi's upgradeability pledge!

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there will either be a hack through a PC based decoder, or that the TV companies will all offer upgrades for older sets for DVI. I wouldn't be suprised either if decoders available today will have no problems and won't understand the downrezzing flag, but that new decoders (with DVI) WILL. Face it, they will have to deal with a million or 2 decoders out there, half of which will be owned by people who won't care, the other half owned by people who upgrade often [​IMG]

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

No offense but I hate threads like this. Please do not tell me to ignore them then, my concerns are legitimate:

DVD appeared on the market in 1997. I got my player at chrismas 1999. I have about 100 DVDs. My point is that as far as I am concerned, this is still a new format, some of us have just barely started their collections... and already people are cheering for the next big thing? I am sorry if this sounds selfish but I hope HD DVD or whatever the heck comes next does so at least 10 years from now.

DVD is the first mainstream format that allows us to enjoy movies as they were meant to. Goodness, how about we do that and stop worrying for a while about what comes next? It has barely been 5 years, and for most of us it has beraly been a couple!

--

Holadem

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer