What's new

Shorter tower with high efficiency and deep bass? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I am wondering if there is a tower speaker out there that is a bit on the shorter side but still efficient and has good low bass. By short I mean hopefully shorter than 36.5" tall.

My PSB Image T65 towers have bass response down to 30 Hz -3 dB and a -10 dB point of 25 Hz and efficiency of 92 dB/W/M (in room = 94 dB). My speakers are 39.25" tall and I'd like to find something similar, but shorter by about 3 - 4 or more inches. I think it's almost impossible to find. I need close to the same bass response and hopefully similar efficiency.

Any idea's?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris, unfortunately high efficiency, deep bass and small encosures don't all go together. The rule of thumb is that a speaker designer can acheive any two of those objectives in a particular design, but not all three.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Axiom Audio M50's. The bass response is not quite as good, nor are they quite as efficient as your current speakers, but the size works and the other specs aren't too terribly far off.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Another option . . .

I have no idea what you're looking to spend, and I honestly don't even know what these speakers cost . . . they might be $1000/ea or they might be $10,000/ea.

But, they would meet your height restrictions in a unique way. It's the Swan X3F stacked on a Swan X3Sub. You can see them here: Swans Speaker Systems - Speaker Systems

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I realize my needs are hard to accomodate. I believe it's possible to produce the sound I need in an enclosure that is a few inches shorter. I sometimes think about taking my T65's and somehow making them shorter.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, interesting. What I'm wondering is...why do they need to be a few inches shorter? If it is to make them fit in a certain space, I would be thinking about changing that space to accomodate the speakers, not the other way around...

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member

Believe me, I have been thinking my brain to death on how I can change the space, but it's looking kinda useless. What I want to do is gain a few inches so I can use a screen of a given height with these speakers. The ceiling is too low. I have tried to think of a way to mount the screen higher. At my old place, I was able to remove the ceiling tiles and push the screen up into the joist space. When you sat down to watch a movie, you could see the top of the screen, and, the projector was able to project up to the top of the screen no problem. I opened up the ceiling here, cutting into the drywall, and I found a major issue. There is a window on one side, so the joist running across the room does not go all the way across, but stops at a beam that acts as a cross-brace. This severely limits the width of my screen. There is pretty much nothing I can do about the cross-brace without seriously undermining the structural integrity of the floor above. I have thought this through a million times and there just doesn't seem to be anything practical that could be done to eliminate the cross-brace. The funny thing is, I would be willing to live with a slightly smaller screen, if it weren't for the fact that the projector I want to use may require a larger sized screen. That is why I am considering a shorter speaker. I don't know what else to do. I have though of reversing projection and putting the screen at the opposite end of the room, but the ceiling there isn't great, full of stuff, and, the laundry is there.

If I could use another enclosure for these drivers, and build a speaker that has the same internal volume, it could work, but odds are, it would mess up the speakers sound character. I'd have to request a totally custom speaker design from the manufacturer, and it's highly unlikely that they'd do it. It's too bad to, because they are right here in Pickering. Of course, the factory isn't. There is one final way I could get around this issue, and that is with an acoustically transparent screen. I hesitate to do this for several reasons.

1) Acoustically transparent screen material is costly
2) I don't believe it's truly acoustically transparent in that I will like the sound for music
3) no matter how I do it, the screen will have to end or have a border in front of the tower and that will affect the sound from the drivers

The last and final way to get around it is to move the screen forward and/or the projector forward, but that's not an easy option in this situation.

JUST A NOTE - I AM POSTING A QUESTION SIMILAR TO THIS, BUT NOT EXACTLY THE SAME.. THIS THREAD COULD BE DELETED OR CLOSED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks