Short SVS equalization tale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ned, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Animated Gif 75kb
    The first frame is unequalized, 2nd and 3rd are the first attempts, 4th is the final. Would anyone here eq the 20hz bump down even more? I think for movies it will probably sound better with the extra kick.
    Final eq settings:
    20hz -5db
    25hz +5db
    31.5hz -6db
    40hz +2db
    50hz -9db
    63hz +7db
    80hz +3db
    100hz +3db

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

That is way cool ned.

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

My crummy animated gif you mean? Heh.

Soon after posting this I started tackling EQ of the sub for left and right listening positions. That took several hours and the best I could do was a 50hz hump in the right seat with a virtually identical yet inverted dip at 50hz in the left seat. Very strange response. I'll make another gif of how that turned out in a bit.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Here's the new animated gif showing the eq'd results for my left and right chair, which are about 3' apart.
    New Animated Gif (42kb)
    The peak and dip at 63hz is virtually the same shape yet opposite amplitude. Virtually impossible to correct with eq [​IMG]

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Can you move the sub ? In another location, the location of the node of that room mode may move away from the listening area.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Thanks for the ideas Ned, I edited the SPL compensation graph and added a few more calculators today.
    If anyone wants to make graphs or download test tones feel free to visit my site.
    To save the file as a GIF, you can copy the graph and paste it in another picture editing program and then "save as" GIF. You have to click on the graph like where it says "Frequency Response Graph" and then go under the tab EDIT, then COPY.
    Paste it in a program such as "Microsoft Paint", and then "Save As" GIF (graphics interchange format).
    I'm still working on the site and that sheet so it's been revised a lot. (organization and content needs some work still)

7. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Brian-

I only have 3 spots available and the other 2 are same or worse response. When the chairs were on the reverse wall and the sub was in the reverse corner the response was +/- 2db from 20-80hz! I'll be moving the whole shebang downstairs in a month and that'll give me many more placement options.

Although my SVS still measures well in the 20-25hz range the kick is missing from the old placement/seating.