What's new
World Wide Stereo

Short speakers with low bass. (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Looking for speakers preferabley shorter than 36.5" with bass response down to around 29-31 hz -3 dB. To qualify, I'm not looking for a "small" speaker and I don't need high efficiency. Sure a short speaker can be small, but, it doesn't have to be. For instance, a speaker that is 36" high could be wide and deep and have multiple 6.5" to 10" woofers firing on either side or front and back with or without ports etc. I'm basically looking for a full-range speaker with bass response that goes down to 30 hz -3 dB but is shorter than 36".

I am looking for shorter speakers to accomodate the front speakers and screen in the same room without using an acoustically transparent screen. I don't want to use smaller/shorter speakers with less bass and use a sub, as I like the sound of front speakers alone. I use my system for stereo listening, 5.1-7.1 movie viewing and multi-channel SACD-DVD-Audio. I used to look for speakers with high sensitivity, so I could have speakers with good efficiency, but this is no longer a priority. I've been looking and I can't find anything. Perhaps there isn't anything and I'll have to go DIY if I want this.

Yes, I've asked this before, but this time I'm dropping the efficiency requirement.

thanks in advance for any suggestions,

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Taterworks

Auditioning
Real Name
Rory Buszka
Get a pair of Definitive StudioMonitor 450s and buy or build a pair of stands that set the speakers at just the right height. I've always been impressed by the bass that comes from those small speakers, which use side-firing passive radiators to get low, and Definitive's ability to design a great-sounding speaker at any point in their model range is unquestioned by this point.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that is the most bass I've ever seen for a small speaker. I find it hard to believe that a small cabinet, a 6.5" mid-woofer and 10" passive radiator can go down to 24 hz. Still, I am curious. I will check them out.

EDIT - the 24 hz is - 30 dB and not - 3dB. I knew that they couldn't really go to 24 Hz -3 dB...as it's not possible, but anyways...probably an interesting speaker regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks