What's new

Short S-Video and fiber optic cables (1 Viewer)

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to find some short S-video and fiber optic cables. Requirements are

A) 1.5 ft (=.5m) or less (I'd like some of the S-vids to be .5ft = 15cm)
B) Less than $10

Best I've been able to find so far is some TecNec s-vid cable from MarkerTek.

My apologies in advance if this is a FAQ-- search isn't working and I didn't see anything in the first few pages...

Me

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
All I've ever seen are 3' cables in both. Your likely options, neither of which are going to come in under $10 is to either custom order from some cable maker, or build your own (s-video only).

I'm trying to find a simple phone cord in 1' length for a short cordless phone connection. Can't get it in less than 7' locally. Guess I'll be splicing/making my own.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Check this thread:

DIY Cables

I made my own S-Video cable with Belden 1808A for 82 cents a foot and a couple of connectors for $5. It was a challenge working with such small pins. If you do this make sure you have a small soldering iron and don't overheat the pins as that will melt the plastic in the connector.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot! I missed that thread, and it's very cool.

Jay-- you should be able to find a 6" phone cord at the Rat$hack. At least, they had them when I slaved there,

Me

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The RS S video connectors are easier to use than most.
The Data and shield pins are offset and easier to put on

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone else cares:

Short S-video cables at MCM

They have 1, 2, and 3 foot, in both "gold plated" and "nickel plated". I have no idea how good these are, but I'm going to order a few and see how I like them, and make my own audio cables using John Krutke's instructions. Looks like neato keen stuff,

Me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.