Short run series on dvd?....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jan 20, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was wondering if some shows that only ran either less than a season to a full season or two would ever be available on dvd. For example Harsh Realm (9 episodes), Legend (13 episodes),Flash (22 episodes)or Time Trax (44 episodes. I can see this as a win/win situation. Since most of these shows are not in syndication any money generated would be a bonus for the studios. And for the fans they would get the shows that may not have aired since they were first aired. I mean the discs don't even have to have extras(although that would be nice). I would be thrilled to get nice uncut versions of the particular show.

***PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO "WHAT I WANT ON DVD". This is just a place to discuss ways of getting short-run or unsyndicated shows on dvd.***

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Well, this sort of thing is precisely what Jason Rosenfeld was trying to do with MSCL and his Drygrass Partners company, before AU went and screwed it all up.

In the aftermath, Jason feared that his business model for this kind of release would be given short shrift by other potential retailers, who would not understand what caused the problem with the MSCL release.

My guess is that so far he's been right. We sure haven't seen anything else like this surface. Instead, MSCL ended up going mainstream. I mean, I bought my copy at Best Buy, eh?

I'm sure Jason will try again at some point, I dunno for sure; I'm not in his "inner circle" despite my friendship with him through Gord Lacey (of TVShowsOnDVD.com; they are partners and I am Gord's TSoD Asst. Admin...whatever that means! [​IMG] ).

In the meantime, as long as "mainstream" is the word, it behooves the studios to look at these titles and see what the interest level REALLY is. Too often these decisions are based on the ratings at the time the show aired, and/or whether or not stations have syndicated the reruns. For many shows, the ratings then don't equate to what the interest in modern DVD-buying audiences might be, and many of those haven't been given a chance in syndication (mostly due to low episode counts!).

Some of those short-run properties WILL get released by the studios. I firmly believe, for instance, that Flash will be one of them, to tie into all the superhero interest right now (Daredevil, Hulk) (speaking of Hulk, where's Bixby's version?...oops; that's a different topic).

Others? We'll just have to wait and see, and in the meantime find every way at our disposal to let the studios know we want 'em. You never know what might be the straw that breaks the back of the proverbial camel...a petition, a letter, a phone call, a mention to a rep at some video convention, an article in a magazine, an evening news human interest story about a fan event, or perhaps just a big vote count at TVShowsOnDVD.com! [​IMG]

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Do you think that there may be any hope in the future for The Lone Gunmen, Freaky Links, or Nowhere Man? I loved all three of those shows but they just weren't given much of a chance (well... Nowhere Man ran for 25 episodes during one season at least). I have a feeling that The Lone Gunmen has the best chance of making it to DVD.

4. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I'd love to see the Lone Gunmen. The only problem is, I doubt we'll ever see the first episode on DVD - and as a result perhaps not the series either.

See Here For the Reason Why

(Actually having read that page in full - just read the episode details and ignore all the other junk - sorry [​IMG])

Here's a better link

5. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I've been waiting for about 10 years to see an episode of The Flash again. I've scouered different resources (video stores, different Sci-Fi stations, the internet) to see if I could find individual episodes, but found myself coming up empty on almost all accounts. I had even written to CBS & Warner to see if I could purchase copies, but I never recieved any response.

To date, I've got the pilot on Laserdisc, as well as two of the Trickster episodes on VHS. To my understanding, the show had a brief run on the SciFi network a couple of years ago, but we don't get that programming up here in Canada. [​IMG]

If this show were to be released on DVD, I'd be all over it! David, I sincerely hope that you're correct in your assumption... maybe then Warner will start releasing Flash, and perhaps the Linda Carter Wonder Woman series!!! [​IMG]

Moe.

6. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

7. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Re: Hulk DVDs

8. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

9. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Wow, I can't believe that pilot of the Lone Gunman [​IMG] Though a complete coincidence, that is really creepy. I think you are right, this may prevent the series from ever making it to DVD. However, I would have to agree that I don't know if I would ever want to see that episode again given the incredible similarities to 9/11.

10. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

perfect canidate:

AIRWOLF

-- Matt

11. David Lambert

Re: Hulk

I mean R1 season sets; sorry. I don't have a Malata...yet.

I *DO* have the shitty looking Canadian releases of the 2 telefilms (w/Thor and DareDevil) which Anchor Bay is bringing out soon as a single double-feature release.

As for Flash, I do feel good about that.

AS for Lone Gunmen: I'd like it, too. I think Fox will decide that based on how well the sell-through is on X-Files seasons 8 and 9. THAT is the indication of the "completionist factor" that surely will play a big role in deciding how many copies of LG can reasonably be sold!

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I was thinking about the Flash the Other Day Todd so it's odd you'd bring it up. I'd love to see it on DVD and would spring for a Box set. I'm not holding my Breath thou because it's Warner and it takes a committee to release anything there. Look how long it took to get B5 despite everything the online community was doing they had doubts. Then they were shocked when sales hit the roof.

What I've been considering is buying a OK VHS Hifi deck to transfer my collection of Flash Eps recorded when they Aired onto DVD thru the recorder I reecently Bought. It won't be great quality but it won't be bad either. I have so many good shows on VHS. Crusade, Batman TAS, Flash. That I'd love to ditch the tapes and keep the disks.

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    David those Hulk TV movies were pretty terrible if memory serves. I remember the Death of the Hulk where they had the Hulk killed from Falling from a plane, pretty lame way the killed him too they had a cheesy Duet being sung by Bixby and some woman playing as he fell to his death, it was pretty embarrassing if memory serves.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It is nice to hear so many other people are fans of the Flash. I was lucky to know someone from Pet Fly who a few years back(before the show went on Scifi) made me copies of 8 of the episodes directly from their masters. You even have the few minutes of blank screen where the commercials go. The rest of the episodes I taped off scifi. But, I would love the show to be released on dvd.

David, Do you know something we don't?? [​IMG]

15. David Lambert

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Personally I'm quite sure We'll se Lone Gunman in 2004 after XF is done (hopefully before S9 tho)

17. David Lambert

Jeff, Do you know something we don't?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, but it's pure marketing

X-Files sell well

Short, cheap to make spinoff series (which please Mr. Staddon if you're reading, include the X-Files season 9 resolution ep!) that the true fans that put out $1000 for all 9 seasons would want

No one will pay attention to the fact that the first ep has the plane by that time anyway

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I figure the title of the Movie was "Death of the Incredible Hulk ! But sorry anyhow.

Dave know what you mean about Marvel I liked DC Much better myself. But did have an affinity for the Hulkster and Iron Man. Now there's a movie that needs to be made. Tony Stark Baby !

20. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I can think of a few short run shows on DVD, that i have and love. Space:1999, Airwolf..it is on DVD through Columbia House, UFO, the 2 Night Stalker movies, Get a Life, Land of the Lost, and The Prisoner. I had read about a year ago Paramount was going to do The Invaders on DVD...what happened to that? I know...you dont want a rant of what I want on DVD, but still...id like to see Police Squad, and the Star Trek Animated on DVD. If Space:1999 can get a great DVD release anything should be able to...fun show, check it out! Rick