What's new

Short Review of Dual SVS 20-39PC + (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
Introduction:

First please note I don’t do reviews for a living, this is just my take. Well I came down with the upgradeitis when everyone stated talking about the PB2 +. All I kept hearing was great things and words like “Headroom” being type at fast rates. Ron suggested that I should go with (2) 20-39PC +in my 4000 cubic ft HT when I was trying to figure out what sub to get. I could only afford one sub at the time and let me tell you it is one heck of a sub, but I kept hearing Ron’s voice in my head “If possible, save up for at least a 20-39PC-Plus. A pair of them, bass requirements are VERY demanding in such a large and irregular room.” My dedicated HT is has a very unique shape, it is a bonus room over the garage. If any of you have one you know of what speak. About six month’s ago I turned a friend on to SVS and he too was impressed by my 20-39 so much he pick one up himself. Now he wants a PB2 + and I said me too, so here is our dilemma. He and I are the only two HT nuts we know of, so one of us was going to part with our current sub to get a PB2+. I had the money for another 20-39 and he was more than happy to sell oh and I LOVE twins so that brings us here my story of living with duals.

Review:

I love bass can’t get enough of it, but did not have an unlimited supply like I wanted. Even with the two powered 10's in my towers. I think some of us have those moments when you want to push your system on certain DVD’s with out that voice in your head telling you to be careful. We don’t want hear the dreaded CLACK noise, because you made your sub cry uncle. I wanted bass like I was getting, but I wanted it louder, stronger with out running out of gas. Well now I have that my friends with the twins! I have the room filling bass I always wanted and some to spare. After getting the subs dialed in, away I went with my demo of bass fill DVD’s we all know and love, here is a list of the usual suspects.

•Blade II
•Lord of the rings - Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
•The Haunting - DTS ES discrete version
•U571
•We Were Soldiers
•Titan A.E.
•Matrix Reloaded – DTS (Hollywood Screener)
•Finding Nemo - DTS (Hollywood Screener)

I could not believe the kind output I was getting on these flicks now, the one movie that is still stuck in my head as I type this review is “The Haunting” The bass in this movie is by far the loudest next to Titan A.E. When playing the creaking pipes chapter or better known as the knocking on the door, the back wall of my HT actually was moving!! I was not close to reference and I got a 109db 18 ft away (fast, C weighting w/ no corrections) on the rat shack meter on the last knock. I was too scared to push it harder because I don’t think my house could take it. Titan A.E. was making the attic door in the hall opening and closing at a fast pace, my wife brought this to my attention and my response was cool! Finding Nemo when Darla is taping on the fish tank was crazy! My house cried uncle on this part of the movie. I 'm also in subsonic heaven, chapter 1 (Blade II) when the vampires tell the new breed of vampire, that they have bad news for him. While he was in the chair it is a very low, long, strong bass note that made my couch almost levitated. Music was flawless; they never drew attention to themselves. Very musical with anything I played on them. I can go on about movies and music, but you get the idea. I did say this would be short.

Conclusion:

I know it is a more expensive way to go, but I found it to be worth every penny IMO. I also would like to thank ED & Steve for their help on setting them up, it feels great that I don’t have to baby sit my sub anymore on any movie. If you come across a deal on another identical sub or have the same situation I was in. Go for it! I highly recommend it, duals rule. Some who visit me may think that two is overkill, but I will say this. One man’s overkill is another’s headroom! Thank you for your time.

Room Measurements:

-30 ft deep
-19 ft 5 ¼ wide

Set-Up and Calibration:

Corner Loaded, Subs volume ½, receiver LFE -8.0 and RS meter – 78db

Equipment Used:

-RCA 61” P61939 RPTV
-Sony DVP-NC615/B DVD Player
-Sony STR-DA4ES DD EX , DTS ES 96/24 & PL II, DTS Neo 6 A/V Receiver
-Ecohostar DVR 508 DD optical output Sat box
-Onkyo CD Player

Speakers:

-Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR5’s main
-Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR17’s surrounds
-Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR17’s surrounds backs
-Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR2C center channel
-(2) SVS 20-39 PC Plus

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Cool review. Did your friend buy the B2+ yet? If so, what does he think of it? I have one 20-39 pci and am contemplating all of my options to add more bass so this was an interesting read.

terence

Supporting Actor
Just curious as to what you mean about babysitting...
What i mean is on very bass heavy flicks at loud volumes, I would back off because of fear of bottoming the sub. I have a large room so the one PC+ can only do so much.

terence

Supporting Actor
I forgot to thank Gordon Groff and Mitch in the review, so i would like to say thx guys.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have the room filling bass I always wanted and some to spare.
__________________________________________________ ________

Great news Terence! Just in time for your first showing of (NEMO) also. I know where I,m going if my rig/system breaks down:wink: Got to have that good BASS you know.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Glad the duals are working out so well terence! Nice review and it's cool you and your buddy can work out such an equitable deal on the sub upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks