What's new

short power and video cables? (1 Viewer)

I think this must be a commonly asked question, but wasn't able to find anything by searching. Apologies if this is covered in another post - please feel free to redirect me if it is!

I have a ceiling mounted projector, and I've installed a triple gang box right behind it with component, s-video, and a surge protected AC receptacle. What I would like to use up there are some interconnects that are only about 18" long. I have seen (expensive) RCA and s-video interconnects on a web store which are advertised as being 1.5' but I'm looking for perhaps a more low budget solution as well as a 1.5' AC power cord (which I can't seem to find anywhere).

My projector, an Infocus 4805, takes the same sort of power coupling as the back of a computer or guitar amp and the receptacle is a standard three prong grounded AC outlet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
For the power-cord, probably your best bet is to take a standard computer power-supply cable, keep its 'projector' end, and cut off how much you need. Then get a Home Depot plug-end and attach it. Inside the wires, it's pretty simple: black, white, and green. The plug-cap will have three screws: gold, silver, and green. Black to gold, white to silver, and green to green.

I haven't ever seen a source for short IEC (I think that's the name for 'em) cables, nor have I seen a source for screw-type IEC connectors. (Actually, I did hear about a source for the short cables, but you needed to buy in lots of 500!)

A short S-cable is the worst of the situation you described. If you haven't done it yet, just pull the cable through the rest of the distance down to the projector, rather than putting a 'neat' in-box splice. Probably better in the long run, anyway.

After that, make your own cables! If you get too far into this, you'll be wanting to do it, anyway... a lot cheaper than buying, and you can get custom lengths without much trouble.

As for making cables, I'm looking into (as in, work is buying a kit of supplies) a compress-fit system for BNC and RCA cables (the kit does, but we don't do 'F' cables.) If it's the right kit (more details later,) then the compress-machine isabout $15.00, and the ends are about $1.25/ea.

Leo Kerr

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Drew,

I’m with Leo on the power cable. However, don’t go “cheapie” on the replacement plug. You want one like this:

Notice the screw-down cable clamp (bottom of connector), and the two halves screw together (top of connector). Inside there should be separate screw-down clamps for the individual wires. If it’s a “wrap the wire around a screw” thing – ditch it.

These connectors run between $3-9; the one pictured is just under $3. You don’t want one any cheaper than that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Believe it or not, I actually found the power cable I need for about the same price as a decent replacement plug, $3 plus shipping from an electrical supply house. It's 18" long and has precisely the right ends. If anyone needs to know where I got it feel free to PM or mail me (I forget which forums you can post vendor URL's to and which ones you can't).

As for the video, I think I'm gonna make the RCA cables myself out of some spare RG6 I happen to have but I think I will purchase the s-video one pre-made. Getting s-video connectors isn't easy or cheap and when the parts equal the pre-made cable it's time to save some effort.

Appreciate the advice!

:)

cohstar

Auditioning
Real Name
andrew
Try monoprice.com. They have the cables you need at prices that are about the same as making your own. However, right-angle plugs for flat panel wall mounting are probably best if made the way the others suggest above.
andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks