What's new

short inexpensive audio interconnects (1 Viewer)

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for 0.5M (18") audio cables to connect a pre/pro to the amp. I don't mind the inexpensive cables like the NXG's from hififorless.com but the shortest cables they sell are 1M(3 ft). I'm afraid that having 3 foot cables on equipment right above/below each other will be sloppy. I've checked out bluejeanscables.com and their stuff looks awesome but more than I want to spend.

I will be connecting a Outlaw 990/1075. Any suggestions?

I've also considered the DIY route...however the cost to get the Carnare tools to make a handful of cables is prohibitive. Carnare seems to be the DIY standard based on this forum. Any other options?

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
I don't remember seeing premade cables less than 3'. If you want shorter ones then either the DIY or custom route seems likely and both are going to cost more than a standard, 3 footer. It may come down to the price are you willing to pay for neatness?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
You do realize that Outlaw sells .5M interconnects? I think they even have some sort of a discount if you buy with equipment. BTW, .5M is closer to 20" than 18".

As for the DIY route, Canare stuff is very well regarded around here, but there is a less expensive option. Here is the basic bill of materials I use:I use that for just about everything: sub cables, audio patch cables, component video cables, or anything else with RCA's on the end. The same tools can, of course, be used for any work with coax cable, such as cable-TV or satellite dish wiring, so they are easily worth their price alone. The biggest downside is that RG6 cable is very stiff and difficult to work with in tight spaces. Most premade cables seem to use RG59, which is thinner and easier to work with. The bright side is I can sleep easy knowing there isn't much that will carry audio/video signals better than 1694A, and I can make exactly any length I want.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dick and David...that is exactly what I was looking for. I had been searching on line (google is my friend :rolleyes:)and had not come up with anything reasonable that wasn't >3' or custom...with the exception of www.cablewholesale.com which has 1 foot "premium" audio cables for $11. David - I really like the price point of the DIY tools/parts you pointed out. I think I will go that route. Thanks again.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Always good to see more people going the DIY route for things :) Just to warn you, the hardest part is to find a good deal on the Belden 1694A cable. If you plan on doing a decent number of cables over time, I suggest getting a 500 foot spool, as you're more likely to get a better price that way. You'll also likely have to haggle abit, as it is premium cable. I've twice ordered 500 foot spools (last time $140+$15s&h) from www.josephelectronics.com and have no complaints. If you need smaller quantities I think they can accommodate that as well.

If this is your first time making cables, you'll probably want to do a couple of practice tries first. Especially stripping, as the blade depths will need to be adjusted slightly to make perfect cuts. After you've done a few though, it's really pretty easy.

-- Dave

PS. PartsExpress does have these premade 18" audio cables for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks