SHORT CUTS - when? (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jason Whyte, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

I was in A and B sound yesterday and this was listed in the Video One catalog, on their computer system and on their upcoming releases wall tomorrow. I had not heard a single whisper of Short Cuts coming to DVD and CNL lists it as "Status on hold. Pending confirmation."
    Has anyone out there heard any other news on this disc? If it comes out I'm excited and can correctly faint due to excitement. ALTMAN! [​IMG]
    Jason
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
    "Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
    My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

2. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I asked the NewLine rep about this at Studio Day. According to him, it isn't on their schedule yet, but might come out in 2002. Note that he stressed that it wasn't currently scheduled, but they hadn't scheduled all of 2002 yet.
    -greg

3. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Not likely that a title this big (at least for me) would come out without a whimper. What's taking so long?

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

This movie has been making the rounds on Showtime and Sundance in the last week or so, but I hate to watch it in it's butchered pan-and-scan form. Any news about a DVD release from Newline ? Newline has very few catalog titles to begin with (compared to other studios) and so I can't understand why it is taking so long to put this modern classic on DVD.

5. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I'm also wondering what the hold up is on this title. I think it's the best American film of the 1990s.

Mark

6. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Last Studio Day, one of the websites reported that New Line was in no hurry with this title; I think the comment was "it's not on the schedule."

Short Cuts is one of the titles that finally pushed me over the edge to go multi-region. Although lean on extras, the Spanish R2 is very nice, thank you, and inexpensive besides.

7. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

??? Where is it?

8. Werner Heimmer

This has been on DVD for over 3 years in Spain.
    It has a wonderful anamorphic transfer with a very wide frame.
    The DVD comes (or at least mine did) with an extra CD size case for the DVD.
    Why wait? [​IMG]

9. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

I can't believe that 'Short Cuts' is still awaiting a DVD release. This was one of the most acclaimed films of the 90's and certainly one of Altman's greatest achievements. New Line did the laserdisc, so I assume they would still own the DVD rights. Has anyone heard any news or rumours about plans for a release?

10. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I am anxiously awaiting this title too. In fact, I have started thinking about transferring my laserdisc edition to DVD. Unfortunately the movie is so long that I really need to wait for dual layer media to be available.

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

New Line is too busy putting out umpteen editions of the LOTR movies.

They seem to care less about doing anything with their catalog titles. I am still waiting for quite a few titles from them: Short Cuts, Spanking the Monkey, Let Him Have It, Hoop Dreams, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, etc.

If it doesn't have a hobbit in it, forget it.

12. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Yeah... New Line have really faded on DVD releases... you'd think that cause of the success of The Rings trilogy, they'd be ok to release soem obscure back catalogue stuff like The Rapture and Short Cuts why oh why are we waiting...[​IMG]

13. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Us early adopters should remember that Short Cuts was scheduled to appear sometime in 1997!

I think it got pulled at the last minute.

I always thought the hold up had something to do with Criterion and their supplements but I doubt that is the case now.

14. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

It's been many, many years since I saw this film last, yet I can't forget Jack Lemmon's incredible performance (and Peter Gallagher tearing up his ex's apartment with a chainsaw [​IMG]). Jack Lemmon is always great though.
    New Line is making a huge mistake not releasing this film.

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Funny story about this movie. My husband & I had just seen "Magnolia" at the theatre and my husband really liked it. I told him that it reminded me a lot of "Short Cuts", which it turned out he had never seen. I told him he had to see "Short Cuts" and I tracked down the Criterion laserdisc. We watched it and as the credits rolled, my husband sat there with a dumbfounded look on his face and said "I feel like an Oasis fan who has just heard his first Beatles album." [​IMG]

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    This 2-disc special edition comes out September 21st in France. It includes a 90 minute documentary and a 52 minute documentary. Anamorphic 2.35 with DD 5.1 audio.
    I had the Spanish release but it had a bad audio-sync problem that I just couldn't deal with. It was cheap though.
    Jeff

17. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

18. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Jeff,

you should mention in your post that it's the region 2 French DVD you're talking about, you got me very excited then very disappointed for a moment there.

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

20. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Well a R2 release from France is still a lot better than nothing, which is what New Line have produced thus far. At least it appears to be OAR with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. And most European R2 DVDs of wide-screen films are anamorphically enhanced. So I'll probably buy it as a stop-gap, and it may have to fill the gap for quite a while.