What's new

SHORT CUTS - when? (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I was in A and B sound yesterday and this was listed in the Video One catalog, on their computer system and on their upcoming releases wall tomorrow. I had not heard a single whisper of Short Cuts coming to DVD and CNL lists it as "Status on hold. Pending confirmation."
Has anyone out there heard any other news on this disc? If it comes out I'm excited and can correctly faint due to excitement. ALTMAN! :)
Jason
------------------
Link RemovedLink Removed
epi101_photo1.jpg

[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"Clown college? You can't eat that!" Homer Simpson
My Own Film Review Website Is Coming Soon!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I asked the NewLine rep about this at Studio Day. According to him, it isn't on their schedule yet, but might come out in 2002. Note that he stressed that it wasn't currently scheduled, but they hadn't scheduled all of 2002 yet.
-greg

Ike

Screenwriter
Not likely that a title this big (at least for me) would come out without a whimper. What's taking so long?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
This movie has been making the rounds on Showtime and Sundance in the last week or so, but I hate to watch it in it's butchered pan-and-scan form. Any news about a DVD release from Newline ? Newline has very few catalog titles to begin with (compared to other studios) and so I can't understand why it is taking so long to put this modern classic on DVD.

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I'm also wondering what the hold up is on this title. I think it's the best American film of the 1990s.

Mark

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Last Studio Day, one of the websites reported that New Line was in no hurry with this title; I think the comment was "it's not on the schedule."

Short Cuts is one of the titles that finally pushed me over the edge to go multi-region. Although lean on extras, the Spanish R2 is very nice, thank you, and inexpensive besides.

This has been on DVD for over 3 years in Spain.
It has a wonderful anamorphic transfer with a very wide frame.
The DVD comes (or at least mine did) with an extra CD size case for the DVD.
Why wait? :)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that 'Short Cuts' is still awaiting a DVD release. This was one of the most acclaimed films of the 90's and certainly one of Altman's greatest achievements. New Line did the laserdisc, so I assume they would still own the DVD rights. Has anyone heard any news or rumours about plans for a release?

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I am anxiously awaiting this title too. In fact, I have started thinking about transferring my laserdisc edition to DVD. Unfortunately the movie is so long that I really need to wait for dual layer media to be available.

Jodee

Screenwriter
New Line is too busy putting out umpteen editions of the LOTR movies.

They seem to care less about doing anything with their catalog titles. I am still waiting for quite a few titles from them: Short Cuts, Spanking the Monkey, Let Him Have It, Hoop Dreams, Lovers of the Arctic Circle, etc.

If it doesn't have a hobbit in it, forget it.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Yeah... New Line have really faded on DVD releases... you'd think that cause of the success of The Rings trilogy, they'd be ok to release soem obscure back catalogue stuff like The Rapture and Short Cuts why oh why are we waiting...:frowning:

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Us early adopters should remember that Short Cuts was scheduled to appear sometime in 1997!

I think it got pulled at the last minute.

I always thought the hold up had something to do with Criterion and their supplements but I doubt that is the case now.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
It's been many, many years since I saw this film last, yet I can't forget Jack Lemmon's incredible performance (and Peter Gallagher tearing up his ex's apartment with a chainsaw :D). Jack Lemmon is always great though.
New Line is making a huge mistake not releasing this film.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Funny story about this movie. My husband & I had just seen "Magnolia" at the theatre and my husband really liked it. I told him that it reminded me a lot of "Short Cuts", which it turned out he had never seen. I told him he had to see "Short Cuts" and I tracked down the Criterion laserdisc. We watched it and as the credits rolled, my husband sat there with a dumbfounded look on his face and said "I feel like an Oasis fan who has just heard his first Beatles album." :laugh:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
This 2-disc special edition comes out September 21st in France. It includes a 90 minute documentary and a 52 minute documentary. Anamorphic 2.35 with DD 5.1 audio.
I had the Spanish release but it had a bad audio-sync problem that I just couldn't deal with. It was cheap though.
Jeff

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
We watched it and as the credits rolled, my husband sat there with a dumbfounded look on his face and said "I feel like an Oasis fan who has just heard his first Beatles album."
) and Julianne Moore... they're mostly on the surface.
The underlying theme is very different, as well as the execution. There is still some influence here, but PTA was more influenced by Altman's Nashville.
Peronsally, I prefer Magnolia over Short Cuts as it's theme is more intriguing, and the cinematography, score and acting performances are superior.
Hell, Altman's a big fan of PTA's work - so it's got his seal of approval. ;)
In any case, I'm anxiously awaiting Short Cuts on DVD, as it is one of the best films of the 90's.
I wish New Line would get off of the hobbit fetish, and ignore their endless amount of crappy catalogue title and just release this film already.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

you should mention in your post that it's the region 2 French DVD you're talking about, you got me very excited then very disappointed for a moment there.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Well a R2 release from France is still a lot better than nothing, which is what New Line have produced thus far. At least it appears to be OAR with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. And most European R2 DVDs of wide-screen films are anamorphically enhanced. So I'll probably buy it as a stop-gap, and it may have to fill the gap for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks