What's new

Short connections to speakers or amps? (1 Viewer)

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if it would make sense to have longer connections between the pre-pro to a amp sitting next to the speaker, or have longer runs of speaker cable from the same amp to the speaker, with the connection between the amp and the pre-pro being shorter.

Mike

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
My preference would be to keep the speaker connection as short as possible assuming that we are not talking about extremely long distances (e.g. 100 ft.) with the other connections.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I would agree with Phil. Keep your speaker wire connections as short as possible, and go with lengthier IC's from pre to amp.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One of the "names" in high-end audio, Dunlevy, tries to never have a speaker wire more than about 8 feet long.

A long run of wire, carrying watts of power becomes a transmission line - (think of an antenna)

Many of the issues disappear when running line-level (un-amplified) signals over a long run of coax.

So an ideal system runs coax to near each speaker, and a mono-block amp for the short jump to the speaker itself.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks