Panasonic 47" HTDV
RP82 DVD Player

I'm getting:
SVS 20-39 PCi
H/K 230 AVR

I need suggestions for :
1 Center, 2 Floorstanding Fronts, 2 Surrounds

My Budget for the 5 speakers:
About $1500 total (give or take a few bucks).

My usage is almost 100% movies and I have absoulute no idea where to start speaker wise in this price range. You guys always give the best help. And you definitely never seem to tire with these types of threads. :) So what does everybody think?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Axiom - M50s or 60s as mains, vp100 and qs8 as rears
Rockets - Rocket Loudspeakers HT Package # 4
Swans - 5.2 or 4.1s as mains, C3 as center, 2.1s or R2s as rears.

Depends on what fits your room style...Also taste as each sounds different.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
It's a 14x15x9 rectangular room. It has all hardwood floors, but I might put down an area rug. I'm intrigued by the axiom package, and according to thier wizard, I can get the M60s, QS8s and VP150 for 1500 total. I'm in the Philadelphia area, does anyone know anywhere I can listen to Axiom, Swan or Rockets?

Drew_W

Screenwriter

Guess what's in 99.9% of movies? Hint: it forms the core of most of them.

Answer: music.

Therefore, music is also of importance. Perhaps not of paramount importance from a critical listening standpoint, but nonetheless it is important.

Where to audition.

Well...are there any HTF members in your area that are able to give you a demo ?

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Chad mentions that each of Axiom/Swan/Rocket sound different. I understand that all speakers sound different and taste has a lot to do with it, but can anyone sum up what they feel the differences in these three brands of speakers are? Do any of these three brands pair particularly well with an H/K receiver, I've heard that Infinity and JBL pair well with an H/K since they are all one company, but what about other speakers?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I know alot of people that use HK with Axiom, and rockets. If I am correct people say the Axioms are bright - like being in the 1st 5 rows of a concert and the Rockets are like being in the 15th row(laid back..not in your face)
HK is a warm receiver and will work well with many speakers. Really I think you could be happy with any of the speakers recommended.
I would guess if you like Klipsch you would like Axioms.
Personally I think they are all a great value in speaker just depends on what you want/like etc.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Chad, thanks for your help. I'm looking at the Axioms and Swans right now. I like Klipsch and have thier 4.1 Pro Media package hooked up to my computer. Hopefully I'll be able to get a listen instead of "buying blind" but audioenvy didn't have anyone with Swans in my area. I'm not pulling the trigger for another month or so, which gives me plenty of time to look around and make my choice. Swans website is definitely impressive as far as throwing graphs and technical details at you. Gives me HT warm fuzzies just looking over everything.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
I would suggest you find a dealer for the following brand:

Phase Tech

10 yr warranty, 100% USA made. The V-12 system at 15% discount will put you into your price range easily. I preferred them to the suggested brands above. To characterize their sound is pretty simple in that if you hear the Axioms and hear the Rockets, they would be in the middle of both. Rockets are pretty laid back sounding and Axioms are fairly bright(TO ME). I'm pretty sensitive to brightness so its usually the first thing I notice. They have a dealer locator on their website and they are extremely nice to talk to if you have questions. I went that route except I'm going 7.1 and I'm going to use an SVS Pb2+.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, I'm near Center City Philadelphia, so I have pretty much all of the major brands available to me. I also have no problem buying online. Chad has definitely peaked my interest in both the Swans and Axioms, and my gut tells me I'll wind up going with one of them, but I'm still completely open to suggestions. I know that in this price range for 5 speakers I have a lot of options. I've decided I really want dipole surrounds because of my room configuration.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I myself listened to the Phase techs and they didn't do anything for me. But matt is looking for opinions so Matt take them as you want them....

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I have the Diva 2.1s and C3 in a smaller setup and I love 'em. Never heard the Rockets, but I've heard they're similar.. maybe a little softer in the upper spectrum with the vifa tweeters. If you're thinking about a Swan setup, I recommend chatting with Jon Lane. He's a good guy.

Jon Lane

Stunt Coordinator
I can say from experience that Swan LOVE the high-current HK's. An excellent match.

I can also confirm that we're in the middle, neutral-sounding class, as opposed to intentionally bright or recessed.

Thanks...

Joe Mihok

Second Unit

I just purchased this setup last december (minus the mini's) and I couldn't be happier. The Monitor 7's are the highlight of the system though. The CC-370 is a great centre, but the M7 is just so great for 2-channel music. In a 5.1 setup most of the music comes from the L/R speakers so the M7's work great for this. I'm using a Denon to power my Paradigms and my firends are amazed at how clear and transparent the whole setup is. The digms were a bit bright at first (which I kinda like anyways) but after a solid month of "breaking in" they sound even better and a bit more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks