Shopping in Saskatchewan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek_O, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

A question for people from Saskatchewan, where do you shop for HT.
    The places I've been include:
    Marquis Sound and Vision (Prince Albert)
    P.A. Soundworks
    Audio Warehouse (PA, Saskatoon and Regina)
    A&B Sound (Saskatoon and Regina)
    Krazy Kileys (Saskatoon and Regina)
    Audio Express (Saskatoon)
    Harry's Hifi (Regina)
    and Future Shop and Visions.
    Are there any good places I've missed? I'm closest to Regina but most anyplace I can get to sooner or later.
    What I've been looking for is a receiver and speakers. I'm leaning toward the NAD T751 and some Axiom speakers but I'm probably still a month or more from making a purchase so if there are any good places left to look at I'd be glad to hear it.
    Thanks.

2. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Hi Derek!,,And welcome to the Forum. [​IMG]
    You pretty much covered everything available in the Saskatoon area.
    If you are looking for NAD (good choice BTW),,Audio Express would be a good place to start,,However I beleive Harry's in Regina also carries NAD gear.
    Good Luck!
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new pictures!

3. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

Thanks Trevor. I thought that was about it in Saskatoon but I only get up there every second month or so and don't always have much time to look around.
    Harry's does carry NAD, I was in there Friday afternoon listening to the T751 and it sure sounded good. I plan to go back and listen again in two weeks.
    From many months of lurking I seem to remember you had a NAD receiver once upon a time. Did you ever try the EARS mode with a satellite dish? I wonder if that works well enough that I wouldn't need DPL II. Any thoughts??

4. Trevor Schell

Hi Derek,
    I had the NADt770 which I have donated to my parents as well as my old SD-3108 DVD player.
    I have very high regards for NAD and the t770 was an outstanding unit. I used the EARS for DSS consistently. I can not compare it to DPL2 since I have not heard that yet. However it works just as well as the DTS Neo6 except the NEO uses the 5.1 format.
    Consider having a look at the 761 as it is a little beefier.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    Updated new pictures!

5. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

I was considering the T761 until Harry mentioned the new pricing. The price difference used to be $300 but is now $600 so for that gap I don't think it's justified for me.
    I'm also considering the new Denons, 1602 or 1802, which A&B Sound tells me will arrive here by mid-Sept.

6. Trevor Schell

I will talk to my aquantences at Audio Express and get you a price on both the 751 and 761.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    Updated new pictures!

7. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

Thanks. It'll be interesting to compare their pricing with Harry's. Harry quoted me $900 for the T751 (no haggling yet).

8. Lyle Schenher

Hi Derek,
    I've recently migrated east to Pilot Butte...
    If you want to have a listen to something different you could pop over and listen to my Klipsch HT (La Scala Mains, Klipsch THX LCR for Center, Rears, and Sub)
    I'm using an Onkyo Integra DTR-7 as receiver.
    I'm still pretty good friends with the Dealer in Calgary who I purchased my receiver and speakers from, If you want to get Onkyo, Integra, Klipsch, Jamo, or Panasonic/Technics, he could probably order it in to his store. I plan to be out there a couple of more times for a business trip this fall.
    drop me a note via email: [email protected] and perhaps we can arrange a little HT meet.
    I'm also very impressed with NAD, I picked up an older NAD 7140 receiver (40 W x 2) and was very very impressed with it when paired up with the La Scala's.
    Later,
    Lyle.

9. Robert LW

Robert LW Auditioning

If you are impressed with NAD, as I am, you may also want to have Harry show you Rotel gear. Very similar in sound to NAD and also excellent bang for the buck, well made equipment. I don't think it's possible to go wrong with either of these brands.
    Having said that, I feel Denon is probably the most consistantly good value and best performing of any of the Japanese brands - at least in the receiver catagory. You can't beat North American amplifiers for effortless power, but Japanese have the nicest switch gear around (at least in the mid-fi).
    BTW, I don't endorse these brands because I own them, rather I endorse them because I have owned them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to again.
    Impressions on the Regina stores you mention:
    Harry's HiFi: Very knowlegable, carries excellent quality gear, VERY opinionated (take him and Pat with a grain of salt), very non-negotiable prices, however... generally very professional and will stand behind you in terms of warranty and service.
    Krazy Kiley's: Have heard many horror stories, but personally found them easy to deal with (but then, they may be sucking up a wee bit since I've spent a ton of dough there over the years). Pick your salesperson carefully - there are a couple of good ones and several "check-out-the-awesome-bass" punks. Darcy is my favorite - tells the truth even if it means saying "I don't know, but I can find out" to a technical question.
    Audio Warehouse: They have the obligatory bufoon salesman (usually a different one every few months), but once you spot him, go with someone else and you'll find most of the people there are helpful, friendly and generally know their stuff. Prices are not always the finest, but they will dicker a bit and they do have a 30-day money-back no-questions-asked return policy, which I have used a couple times and have no complaints with. Generally pretty sharp prices when they have big sales on year-end stock. They do carry Parasound gear, which is excellent, but pretty highly priced here in Canada.
    A&B Sound / Future Shop: If you know exactly what it is you want and they have a good price, go for it. Otherwise, don't expect and intelligent information from their employee of the month.
    Visions Electronics: Complete morons. I feel like buying from them is like buying out of the back of a van in Toronto, but I could be wrong...
    Yeah, that's about it for Regina. I don't advocate going to the Brick, but if you must have Polk speakers, they do carry a couple of models. Don't expect audio IQ's beyond single digit, but they probably have an OK reurn policy.
    Oh yeah, there is a very small firm called Everest Audio. They are a couple of upstarts who carry a couple of lesser known, but well regarded brands. They have a web-site, but I know very little about them check them out at:
    http://www.everestaudio.com/
    I can't judge them one way or another, but thought I should mention them to try and be compete.
    Hope this is of value...

10. Trevor Schell

11. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

Thanks for the summary Robert. That's been pretty much my impression of the different shops. Especially about Visions, I don't think you're wrong either.
    I have to give Sean at A&B a little credit though. After admitting he didn't know Denon was coming out with new receivers he phoned up the Denon rep to find out when we could expect the new ones. I don't know if the Denon rep was leading him on when he told him mid-sept just like the States but phoning the rep is a better response than I got from Kiley's.
    Mostly I go to A&B for their selection and pricing of CD's and DVD's, same with Future Shop.
    I looked up Everest Audio's site and they seem to have some pretty interesting stuff but it looks to be primarily two channel wheras I'm looking more for a HT rig. Since I'm starting from almost nothing (27" Toshiba, Panasonic RV-31S DVD, Expressvu DSS) and enjoy music as much as movies (130 CD, 10 DVD, 15 VHS) I'm looking for something to do a pretty good job all around.
    So far the contenders are NAD, Denon and maybe Onkyo which leaves me with Harry's, A&B, Kiley's and Audio Express.

12. Robert LW

Robert LW Auditioning

Yeah, I know Everest is basically a two-channel place, but I kind of wanted to include them just to try to be complete, which it turns out, I'm not. There is also a Regina based, Internet seller of high-end audio gear.
    http://www.canadianhifi.com/
    Now, I know you're not looking at this, but it might be nice to have in your bookmark of local audio, even just for interest sake. I thought my summary might also be of value to anyone else who see's "Saskatchewan" in the subject...
    Incidentally, I don't want to evangelize my own ways, but I have put together two very nice systems (one 2-channel and one HT) using a mix of locally purchased gear and used gear I bought from individuals on the Internet. Certainly you need to be cautious, but I've bought and sold many items and never been taken (or taken anyone) for a ride. I know I paid at least 40% less for the used items and they are all still current models. Just a thought.
    Good luck in your quest!
    RLW

13. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi!! I grew up in Regina, and shopped there just over 1 year ago when looking for speakers.
    I enjoyed my time at Audio Warehouse and Krazy Kileys (esp. KK). Harry's Hifi was a waste of time, they didnt even have a system setup for DTS [​IMG] They did carry the BandW line though (at full list).
    A and B Sound had a lot of gear but because of the "one large room" design I couldnt give any of it a real demo - even though I was seriously considering the Energy products they sold there.
    I settled on Paradigm Reference speakers and I am very happy with them!
    Enjoy the shopping as it is half the fun!
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

14. Duane_T

Duane_T Stunt Coordinator

My Saskatchewan experience (Saskatoon only):
    Future Shop: Idiots. A friend of mine just went in there to spend $3000 (he thought he'd try there first because the money included a microwave and a PS2). Asked what kind of deal they could swing - the salesman said he could throw in extended warranty deals. His loss.
    Audio Express: I've bought a few things there and have been reasonably happy with the service and deals.
    Audio Warehouse: Never bought there, can't say good or bad.
    Visions: Worst place ever.
    A&B Sound: Bought a TV there. Wasn't happy with the runaround I was getting on the time of delivery (and they don't deliver). Last purchase I'll be making there.
    Krazy Kiley's: My dealer of choice right now. I've bought a satellite dish, DVD player, seven speakers and a sub there. I have a regular sales guy that I don't really have to haggle with, he comes up with good prices off the bat.
    (I took my friend from Future Shop there and got him some good prices, without hassle.)

15. Terry Hansen

Terry Hansen Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I've purchased all my equipment at KK's in Regina. They have a few knowlegable staff and will definitely deal on the price. When I was shopping for Paradigm Mon. 9s and CC-350 I called all the Paradigm dealers in Sask and got the best prices and KK beat them all hands down, no questions asked. When I wanted to upgrade my PDR 8 to a PS1200 Paradigm sub they gave a retail to retail trade in for my PDR, even though I didn't buy it from them (not sure they knew that [​IMG]). They also gave me a good deal on a floor model Sony DB940. So for prices they are hard to beat.
    But as for knowledge, the salesman who demoed my speakers picked awful music (I was already sold on what speakers I wanted thanks to the HTF and was basically just trying to get the best price).
    ------------------

16. Trevor Schell

Derek,
    Here are some prices on the Nad 751 and Nad 761 from Audio Express in Saskatoon.
    751--$849 plus tax
    761--$1280 plus tax
    The difference between the 2 receivers is $431
    The 751 features 5x 60 watts while the 761 features 5 x 80 watts plus component swithing and 5 digital inputs.
    For the extra money the 761 seems to be the better deal of the 2 receivers.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    Updated new pictures!

17. Robert LW

Robert LW Auditioning

Gregg,
    Re: Harry's HiFi - You gotta remember that these guys (well, guy and gal) have been two-channel people for years, and have fairly sophisticated taste in essentially one genre of gear: MidFi-to-HiFi British import. NAD, Rotel, B&W, Arcam. Really good, solid gear. Well made, uncolored, unassuming stuff that is excellent bang for the buck, but rarely do these companies "jump" into new formats, and neither did Harry and company. Not to say they (the companies) are not innovative, just not going to jump into HT feet first when it's been the discriminating two-channel crowd that has made them famous.
    Harry's is getting into HT, but they are doing it secondary to two-channel. Partly because that's what many of their customers are doing. I know several "audiophile type" who love their home theater, but it's a totally different system in a different room from their "music only" system. Harry's HiFi is keeping the music first, and you have to respect that on some level.
    Re: B&W at full retail. Yeah, they always quote retail until you're ready to make the purchase, then they come up with your best possible price and it's no-haggling after that. The discount is rarely very much, but it's something and these guys WILL go out of their way to take care of you for warranty or trade-up or any other service they can help you out with.
    This all sounds like a testimonial. It is not. Nor is saying that is not a testimonial a slam. It's just that they are niche, and damn good at it. If it's not your niche... who cares, right? I've bought a few things from them and wouldn't hesitate to again. But I didn't take any vows; nor would I burn any bridges...
    Whew, I do go on sometimes.
    Phydeaux (Robert LW)
    [Edited last by Robert LW on August 14, 2001 at 05:52 PM]

18. Derek_O

Derek_O Extra

Trevor,
    Thanks for the prices. I appreciate the trouble.
    There's no denying the 761 is ahead of the 751 on features but in my case I'm not sure it would be to my advantage.
    I can't use component switching because my TV is 5 years old and can't use it. My living room is a small room in a small house so I don't see the 20 watts or A+B speaker switching as a deal breaker (If I turn the volume up a bit I think I could hear it all the way to the alley). Right now I only need one digital in for my DVD player. I can't see myself needing more for a number of years until I move into Hi Def with a new 16:9 TV and Hi Def receiver and add a CD Changer (which may or may not require a digital connection depending on how much a person spends). Out of curiosity how many digital inputs does your system use?
    Right now the T751 is looking pretty good. I just want to listen to it some more (especially the EARS mode) and there's really no hurry. After all the "curling up on couch with a good movie while the snows flies by the window" season doesn't really start until November.

19. Trevor Schell