What's new

Shopping for Surround Sound System (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Michelle
Unfortunately they don't have any other model other than the 7200 (not for a few weeks) & I guess I heard her wrong on the one letter, but it was an Onkyo.

So you don't suggest getting it b/c it's too much?

Back to square 1 :)

Thanks

Michelle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
All things considered, it really isn't that bad. I'm just used to buying factory refurbished and used gear which can really save a lot of money. Ac4l.com has a factory refurbished 7200 for $599 so another $25 for a new one is pretty good. $625 seems like a more than fair price for the 7200. But listen to it first if you can. Add an in-expensive BluRay player when you can afford it and I bet you will be very pleased. It will be much, much better than any htib, including the Sony and LG we've already discussed.

If you do decide to get it we will elp you set it up and make the connections if you need us to.

Real Name
Michelle
Well I was looking for cheaper, but I don't want to have to buy another one to fit the Blue Ray in the next several months.

Maybe I'll see if Ac4l.com can ship to Canada & if they have something more in the $300-400 range unless you saw something already. I know I won't be able to listen to it, but how bad can it be? It's got to be 10 x better than what I have now which is an old Technics from '94 if you can believe that, & the speakers aren't techniques either, they are a missmatch :)

Oh I have no idea how to hook it up & that's another stressor for me b/c there's soooo many wires behind the TV I never want to go back there.

Michelle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Newegg.com has the Onkyo-6200 for $599 with free shipping. Not sure if they ship to Canada.

Partsexpress.com has the Dayton/HTP-1, $168, Dayton/HTP-2 $196, Dayton/HTP-3 $218 5.1 speaker packages. The HTP-1 ships for free, the 2 adds $9.95 and the 3 adds 14.95 due to their larger size. These are very basic speaker packages but they should be at least as good as the Onkyo system speakers and better than the LG's. Add a BluRay compatible receiver like the Denon-590 ($349 shipped) or the Onkyo-507 ($311 shipped free from Vanns.com) and you would have a nice little setup for $479 to $585. I don't know if Partsexpress ships to Canada either.

And all the places we've suggested are well known and trusted sites.

When you finally pick something out we can tell you exactly how to hook everything up and how to operate it.

Real Name
Michelle
Ok, I hope to check into that site you posted over the next several days. Just swamped right now.

Saying that, if Costco does have a good system, I'd prefer to buy from there if it's going to cost the same price, so can you just tell me if any of these are good & work with a Blue Ray?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10330506&cm_mmc=CNEmail_EN_395-_-FOCUS-_-6-_-YamahaHomeTheatrehttp: - on sale

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10334978&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=2190&hierPath=79*80*2190*&lang=en-CA - this one doesn't have speakers right, so forget that.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10330429&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=2190&hierPath=79*80*2190*&lang=en-CA

Thanks

Michelle

Real Name
Michelle
Another question that came up while reading someone's review...

Once I get the Blue Ray, I'm able to connect to the net with it, right?

Does the SS system have to have some kind of wi fi capability in order to use the Blue Ray for the net?

Thanks

Michelle

Real Name
Michelle
P.S. I just want to make sure that everyone knows I have 3 recordable devices that have to go thru the SS system. I assume they do now, like I said, I have never hooked this up before.

Also down the road once I get the computer & software to record from TV to the computer's HD, I'll be running the SS to that too.

I just want to make sure all SSs are capable of doing this now. I assume so since this old one I have does it.

Thanks

Michelle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Saying that, if Costco does have a good system, I'd prefer to buy from there if it's going to cost the same price, so can you just tell me if any of these are good & work with a Blue Ray?
The Yamaha 6226 (looks to be a yht-391) will not decode BluRays HD audio.

Neither will the Sony DAVF500.

And remember, when we say "it won't work with BluRay" what we mean is you can't get the new HD audio formats. Your BluRay player would still be able to use the same formats found on regular dvd players, namely Dolby Digital and DTS.

The only htib that will work with the HD audio on BluRay discs on Costco's site is the Samsung/BD-1250 since it has a BluRay player built in. It also has all of the problems associated with htib's like only 2 digital inputs, all-in-one construction, cheaper speakers and sub woofer and not much room for future up-grades.

Once I get the Blue Ray, I'm able to connect to the net with it, right?
Most of the newer one's will but it depends on the individual player. Some have Ethernet ports, some wi-fi, etc.

Does the SS system have to have some kind of wi fi capability in order to use the Blue Ray for the net?
The Samsung BD-1250 does have wi-fi for connection to the internet. Here's a link to Samsungs Samsung/BD-1250. from their website. Most receivers don't have a connection to the internet. They leave that feature for the BluRay player.

P.S. I just want to make sure that everyone knows I have 3 recordable devices that have to go thru the SS system. I assume they do now, like I said, I have never hooked this up before.
It depends on what they are but the 1250 only has 2 digital inputs, neither of which is hdmi.

Also down the road once I get the computer & software to record from TV to the computer's HD, I'll be running the SS to that too.
This is where my area of "expertize" stops. But it looks like the 1250 can be connected to a pc. But you didn't hear that from me!

I just want to make sure all SSs are capable of doing this now. I assume so since this old one I have does it.
If your system from '94 did it I'd have to say that a new one could as well but again, not my area....

Real Name
Michelle
Hi all,

After talking to someone else & b/c of my budget, I've decided to forgo the HD audio benefit & just go with a pretty good quality one. I think you guys said this Yamaha one was good, right?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10330506&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|80|2190&N=4008694&Mo=8&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=2190&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC13328-Cat80&topnav=&SessionID=e5ddddc7-fcd0-425f-bbe7-22bcb166d2cc

Also, this forum software is not one I'm familiar with. How do you find your own posts when you come to the site? I can't find a link/button & thank god I had some notices left still in my inbox.

Thanks

Michelle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Welcome back. It's nice to hear from you again.

After talking to someone else & b/c of my budget, I've decided to forgo the HD audio benefit & just go with a pretty good quality one. I think you guys said this Yamaha one was good, right?
That Yamaha system has a seperate receiver, which is a good thing, but the weak point in all of these in-expensive systems is the speakers/sub woofer. But it will sound better than your tv's speakers. And it seems to be the best thing at Costco in your price range. I'd still recommend an Onkyo receiver/speaker package but since you're from Canada I'm not where you could get one from. But I'm sure you would be happy with the Yamaha

Also, this forum software is not one I'm familiar with. How do you find your own posts when you come to the site? I can't find a link/button & thank god I had some notices left still in my inbox.
I'm sure there's a better wahy than this but what I usually do is click on my name (just above the Logout link and to the right of Private Messages link) in the upper right-hand corner of the main forums page (which is the one you're looking at now!). You can then click on the All Posts link.

Real Name
Michelle
Thanks Gene :)

Ok, yes they sell Onyko here, but I'm sure the price is probably almost double what one would pay for in the States & Vann's just refused to take my credit card b/c I live in Canada (hate when US companies don't care about Canadian consumers).

Anyway, I can still get Onyko if I ship it to my sister, it's just more of a hassle.

So, you mentioned the 507, but there's also the HT-S3200 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001VEI2NG/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A3VXDZGDB0J87N&v=glance

Which one is better?

Thanks

Michelle

Real Name
Michelle
Hi Ed,

Yes, but if the thread is like on anything other than page 1, wasting time going from page to page isn't good time management. Gene's instructions were great.

Thanks to the both of you. :)

Michelle

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would go with the 3200 because it has Audyssey automatic setup and room correction. It can really make a difference in how the system sounds. The bad thing is the sub woofer is passive meaning it doesn't have it own internal amplifier and uses the receiver to power it. The Yamaha system has a powered sub woofer but I used to have the exact same sub and it really isn't all that good anyway.

To confuse things even more, I see Onkyo has added the 3300 to it's web page. It's pretty much the same as the 3200 but it now supports the new HD audio on BluRay discs which the 3200 doesn't. The msrp price is listed as the same as the 3200, $379. Not available yet but should be shortly. Amazon has it on pre-order for $329. This might be the one to get if you can wait a little longer.

Real Name
Michelle
LOL, yes, to make things more complicated. All depends on this one & how much longer she can hold out.

Any release date?

Thanks Gene, that would be great if I could get that one.

Michelle :)

Real Name
Michelle
Oh hellooooo I hope someone is out there. I'll post this in a new thread as well.

I finally got my new Onkyo last Friday & now someone came to hook it up for me & we can't figure out how to hook it up from the TV (that has 1 DVD, 1 DVDR, 1 VHS) hooked up to the TV.

His friend unplugged whatever was hooked up to the old receiver & he left & we are stumped & I need my TV working :(

Please help.

Thank you

Michelle

Real Name
Michelle
I got the 3300 & what a journey it was getting it. UPS is like the worst courier service ever. I'm still dealing with them wasting man hours even after they had to give me the shipping for free b/c of all their screwups.

Amazing.

Anyway, I didn't realize it was only a 660. The guy who helped me install it says that it's all that great :(

It doesn't sound good & the instructions are complicated.

If anyone here can let me call them to walk me thru it, that would be great.

Maybe I was just tired last night, but I could barely hear what was being said in the taped show. How could my other SS system that is that old sound so much better? LOL

Thanks

Michelle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks