shopping for an hdtv, but need some serious help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Reid K, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Here is a few things I guess you should know
    1. size of the tv isnt an issue, iam building an entertainment system for it so width and such does not matter, and I dont care if it is a CRT the extra size and weight doesnt matter.
    2. the tv will be used solely for gaming, mainly right now with an xbox360 (pretty much the reason iam going for an hdtv now)
    3. The smallest screen I will go with is a 30', and largest is a 36' however the ideal size I figure for me will be about 34'
    4. My budget is around $1000 CND, however I get tvs at cost so lets just say my max is around $1500 CND MSRP.
    Now I have no idea what to look for, I hear LCDs are nice but with gaming can have several issues, and cant do true blacks. Which is why iam leaning towards a CRT. I have heard very few bad things about them, other than their size. Also is it true burn in is pretty much non-existent now? Also here is the tv iam tenatively looking at for 800$

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...4771&category=

thank you so much for any help.

2. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Wow.... that must be one hell of a Big Entertainment System !!![​IMG]

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's feet in Canadian units. With the exchange rate, that comes to nothing basically. [​IMG]

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

No. Any phosphor-based system (that includes CRT and Plasma) is going to be prone to differential pixel-wear, and that's what causes burn-in. It is true that newer plasmas, in particular, are more resistent, but leaving a static image on the screen or even leaving parts of it unchanged (as is often the case with some kinds of game software) is still to risk burn-in. One reason I went with a liquid-crystal on silicon RPTV for my living room set (56") was the burn-in issue. (I have LCD panels in my bedroom and home office, but I'm not much of a gamer, so response time is less of an issue for me.) I'm told that there are newer LCD panels whose response time is more than capable of handing games. Doubtless you'll hear from other gamers on that point.

Regards,

Joe

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It seems he is considering a direct-view CRT, however. Wear risk on a direct view is minimal, especially is white level is appropriately lowered.

Consult the Master Burn-in Thread stickied at the top of this forum. It's all covered there.

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

At that size + price point + intended use I'd say the best choice is an LCD in the lower part of the size range. A conventional tube is the other option but the LCD has the huge advantages of no issue of burn-in and weight. If you later change things the LCD will still be just great in a bedroom, kitchen, etc.