shopping for a receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ganesh, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I've just ordered the Aperion 5.1 speakers and waiting for them to be delivered. Meanwhile, I'm shopping for a receiver and was in CircuitCity comparing the HK AVR525 and HK DPR1001. For movies they both sounded pretty good and almost the same, I'd adjusted the db levels such that they both produced same "loudness". But for music, the DPR1001 had a nice little additional base to the music (with the same setting on both receivers and the same set of polk audio floor standing speakers). I'm planning to checkout the Denon's but it looks I can't compare the HK and Denon in the same store (I didn't see Denon's in CC and didn't see HK in Tweeter's). Does anyone in this forum have a personal experience of comparing the two (HK AVR525 and AVR1803,2803)?

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I prefer the H/K over the Denon... but that is just me. Others might have different opinions.

I almost purchased the H/K 525 until I auditioned the NAD T752. If you can locate a dealer that carries the NAD, give it an audition. I found it did everthing better (sound wise...ie detail etc.) than the H/K.

You really couldn't go wrong with the H/K or the NAD. Good hunting!

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

Thank you Mike for the reply. I'm planning to get both the Denon 2803 and the H/K 525 and compare them at home. I can add NAD also to the list, but how is the reliablility of the NAD receivers? I have read some posts that seem to suggest that the NAD's don't stack up to the likes of H/K and Denon's in that aspect.

4. Basheer

Basheer Auditioning

Ganesh, what did you determine when comparing the HK and Denon with your Aperions?

I'm in a similar situation. I've had the Aperion 5.1 setup (10" sub) for a year or so and am still trying to find the right receiver. The Onkyo TX-SR600 I got with them was a bit too harsh at high volume and the Yamaha HTR 5660 that I'm trying now is outright raucous at high (or even moderate) volume. Is the Denon warm enough? How about the HK? Have you settled on either of these or did you find something you prefer?

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have a Harman Kardon AVR-225 and I liked the HK's over the Denons in that price range, I think I would feel the same if I got a higher model as well.

6. Jaime B

Jaime B Stunt Coordinator

Basheer:

I can just imagine the sound with the HTR! Have you tried the Integra line from Onkyo, it may work well with your Aperions. Try Marantz too, most of their models roll the highs ever so slightly, and some of their models roll their power outputs embarassingly, so watch out!

Try before you buy.

JaimeB