What's new

Shopping for a DIGITAL CAMERA. (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Just one small point of clarification re the Kodaks .... The docking station is NOT required. Every unit comes with a USB cable and (disposable) batteries. I have found with WinXP, that you don't even need to install the Kodak software ... just connect the camera and turn it on. The advantage of the optional dock is that it constantly recharges the NiMH batteries and offers one button hotsync capability with your PC.
A friend of mine recently bought a FinePix 2600 (highly rated), but could never get the software to run on WinME. I'm pretty computer literate and also failed. There were come major conflicts with ME and that Fuji software. He solved the problem with a $19 card reader, but never did get the software running.
The other thing you need to consider is your printer. You'll need a photo quality inkjet with reasonable speed. Here are my observations:
HP - terrific print quality can be had, even with the cheaper models (i.e. DeskJet950 @ $140.) The models with the card slots are really nice since they allow you to bang out photos without even turning on your computer. Their top of the line PSC950 even prints contact sheets (mark the pix you want on the paper, then hit the scan button and out comes your custom print job). The downside of HP is ink cost ... it's the most $$$ out there. A single color cartridge is ~$35. rarely discounted. You can get a double capacity cartridge for ~$50 at Costco. HP is the photo quality winner, even the HP paper makes a slightly noticible difference.
Epson - Probably the winner for cost. The key is that the newer ones use 3 separate color cartridges. So if blue runs out, you don't have to discard extra magenta & yellow, as you do with HP. Quality is very close to HP.
Canon - BubbleJet technology = HP inkjet technology. It's the same thing, different trademark.
Lexmark - They give the printers away, then make it up on the ink. OK for documents, but not HP Photo quality. Also my experience is that they are painfully S...L...O...W!
Just my humble opinions ... take it with a grain of salt ;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
My SLR has a feature known as "depth of field preview". Use that and you can see the effects of different apertures before you take the picture. My digital camera, which cost more than the SLR, doesn't provide control over aperture, doesn't provide manual control over focus, and doesn't have the f/1.7 speed of a regular 50mm lens.
My Pentax MX from 1975 has this as well, but I don't think it's all that great of a feature since I already know the effects of aperture on a subject so I never use the feature. You must have a really cheap SLR camera because you can get digital cameras with aperture and shutter control very cheaply now. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a digital with those 2 features as you can make your photo look different in subtle ways with them.

Cam S

Screenwriter
If anyone wants to see some Pictures taken with a Casio QV3500ex and a Canon S30 check out My PBase Gallery. The "Trip to Saskatoon" and "Go-Karting" pics were taken with the Canon S30, and the others were with the Casio QV3500ex.
That should give you an idea of what you'll get with a higher end 3MP camera, though I'll be returning the S30 for either a Canon G2/G3 or Olympus C-5050z.

Cam S

Screenwriter
With any shot that requires a shutter speed of 1/20th of a second or slower, due to lighting, I'll use a tripod, so yes, I used a tripod for all those night shots, EXCEPT one. This picture of the Saskatoon Cityscap at sunset was taken when I didn't have a tripod handy and it was just too good to pass up. I steadied the camera on my knee as best as I could and took 3 shots all at 1 second exposures. This one turned out the best, and I am VERY happy with it.

Cam S

Screenwriter
BUMP

Does anyone in this forum use a Canon G2?? I had bought a Canon S30 but returned it because I wanted something with a few more features and upgradability, and I think the Canon G2 has that. Who thinks it would be more worth my while to hold off on the G2 and get the G3 despite the G2 dropping way down in price ($1099 Can. right now).

Don Black

Screenwriter
I use a G2. Best darn camera I've ever owned. The G3 isn't really swaying me on the specs. I will wait for the G4 or whatever they call it.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey Don, do you have any problems with the G2, like AF or the cracking case problem??

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I have a G2 with no (knock wood) problems; it's a wonderful camera.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I've owned my G2 for about 1.5 years and had no problems to date. However, I use the camera only moderately...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks