What's new

Shopping for 5-disc DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Hello everyone.
I'm trying to build my first HT, I'll be getting either the Denon 1803, HK 325 or the HK 525.
Speakers would be either Take5 or JBL NPS1 or Polk RMS6700.

I have a Mitsh. 46-in HDTV (480P/ 960i) and an old Pana A120 DVD.

I'm looking for a 5-disc DVD player with these feature:
1. Progressive Scan: How much better than without this feature?

2. Plays CD, VCD, SVCD, maybe MP3s to and SACDs.
3. Preferably also plays DVD-Audio (desirable)
4. Same brand as AV preferable but not really necessary. Just one that has nice aesthetics and blends well with the AV recver.

And.. my budget is under $400. Might bump it to $500 but highly unlikely, and better not have to.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rokzi, H/K does not make a DVD changer with DVD-Audio or SACD. The only Denon changer with DVD-Audio is the DVM-4800, which sells for around $1200. Denon does not make an SACD changer at present. Note that there are no changers currently available that can play SACD and DVD-Audio tracks.
Two changers you should look at are the Panasonic DVD-CP72 and Kenwood DV-6050. The 'CP72 has gotten a lot of good reviews here, so do a search. It offers progressive-scan without the chroma bug plus DVD-Audio. With a $30 mail-in rebate currently available from Panasonic, you should be able to get a 'CP72 for under $200 from authorized mail-order dealers like OneCall (1-800-340-4770) or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). If you order a 'CP72 from one of these dealers, be sure to ask about the rebate. Alternatively, you may be able to download the form from panasonic.com web site.
The 'CP72 is available in black or silver. See www.crutchfield.com to see pictures of both versions. I don't feel that the player is very attractive in either color, but you might. Also, Best Buy and Circuit City have the changer if you want to see it firsthand.
The Kenwood '6050 is available through crutchfield.com for $350. It too offers progressive-scan output and DVD-Audio playback. I have not seen this changer in person, and I have seen no talk about it here. The latter point is probably because the 'CP72 is available for considerably less. The Kenwood unit may be a capable player, so you should still look into it.
Finally, a progressive-scan player should offer a significant improvement with your display over your Panasonic A120. The difference should be dramatic. You would probably notice an improvement in interlaced mode as well, as the technology has improved over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks