1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Shoplifters (2018)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    [​IMG]
    Title: Shoplifters

Genre: Drama, Crime

Director: Hirokazu Koreeda

Cast: Lily Franky, Sakura Ando, Mayu Matsuoka, Kirin Kiki, Jyo Kairi, Miyu Sasaki, Sosuke Ikematsu, Chizuru Ikewaki, Akira Emoto, Kengo Kora, Yôko Moriguchi, Yuki Yamada, Moemi Katayama, Naoto Ogata

Release Date:

Runtime: 121

Plot: After one of their shoplifting sessions, Osamu and his son come across a little girl in the freezing cold. At first reluctant to shelter the girl, Osamu’s wife agrees to take care of her after learning of the hardships she faces. Although the family is poor, barely making enough money to survive through petty crime, they seem to live happily together until an unforeseen incident reveals hidden secrets, testing the bonds that unite them.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Yesterday, I got to see an advance screening of Shoplifters, which won the Palme d'or at Cannes this year. Its official U.S. release begins on a limited basis on November 23. But I wanted to start the thread now so I could tell you all how much I really loved this film.

As the title implies, the main characters are a low-income poverty-level family who shoplift to survive because they can't make ends meet otherwise. After one of these shoplifting sprees, they find a young girl freezing in the cold and take her in. When they attempt to return her home, they overhear the parents yelling and fighting and being physically abusive, including yelling that "I never wanted her anyway!", so they decide not to return her to that environment and essentially informally adopt her instead of returning her to her parents.

There's more....but if I say anything else it will be a massive spoiler, since the movie involves some of the best twists and turns I've seen in a while. I would strongly encourage you not to look the movie up at all, lest you stumble on a spoiler, and if you do see the trailer in a theater before something else, close your eyes. It's in Japanese, so if you don't see the picture and read the subtitles, the extremely spoiler-laden trailer will essentially mean nothing to you, but if you do see it, you'll know more than you want to know going into the movie.

But it's really, really good, and I highly recommend it.

3. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Kore-Eda is one of the best directors working today. Every one of his films is an important event, not to be missed. I go to his films in the theater, or I buy the BDs, DVDs, R1, R2, whatever, because his films demand to be seen.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I wanted to bump this thread because Shoplifters started its general release last weekend, albeit in a limited rollout. Box Office Mojo says it grossed $89,264 from five theaters, for a $17,853 per-theater average. It should continue to expand over the next couple months, so keep an eye out for it if it comes near you. It is Japan's entry for next year's Oscars, so I would assume they'll try to have it its widest pointt around or after the Oscar nominations in January, or at least that's what I would do.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=shoplifters.htm

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Looking forward to seeing this -- love Kore-eda!! Have to admit "After the Storm" wasn't one of my favorites, though.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I wanted to bump this thread because the movie is available on DVD and for digital purchase and rental today. So for those of you who didn't get a theatrical opening near you, or missed it, you can catch it now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be receiving a Blu-ray release.