What's new

Shogun coming to DVD?!?! (1 Viewer)

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I was watching disk 1 today. When I got to the part where there on the boat to go see Toranaga for the first time... Just before the storm, I started experiencing audio problems.

Every 5 to 7 seconds I would hear this loud glitch/static sound that would last 1 second and come out of my speakers. After about 2 minutes of this, the sound cut out all together...

I pressed "stop" then "play", still no sound. I then went into the menu and switched to mono sound, that brought it back. After that I switched back to 5.1 and rewinded a bit and everything was fine.

I finished watching the 1st disk without any further problems, I haven't watched the other disks yet... Has anyone else experienced problems?

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
My set played perfectly on my RP-91. The picture was better than I could have hoped for, and the sound was better than the original mono.

I'm very happy with the set. I watched the whole series in one day.

Absolutely wonderful.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I have the RP-82 and it seems to be working fine now... At least it hasn't happened again but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this problem?

Never had a problem with the picture, it's great!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We watched every bit of it last Sunday on 3 different players (as we had it follow us around the house doing different things). No problems whatsoever! A great release.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Can someone post the size (WxHxD) of the cardboard case
the DVD's come in?
I am trying to make a giftbox for a friend and
make a space in the center for his set of Shogun to fit in.
Thanks!

John Watson

Screenwriter
Wow! SHOGUN came for Christmas, and we watched all 4 of the disks for the program over the past week. It is a tremendous show.
The program is about 9+ plus hours, and I presume the 5th disk has a couple of hours of the special features. We started watching without subtitles, and altho there is lots of untranslated Japanese, decided to continue in that mode for the first viewing, relying on context and emotions for understanding the dialogue that isn't in English.
The drama is very compelling, and realistic. It seems like real life, rather than a formula. Motives are mixed - do the Jesuits fear Blackthorne enough to kill him, will the Portuguese pilot save Blackthorne's life; Toronaga is an unaccountable chess master, moving his human chess pieces without regard for their personalities or interests.
Richard Chamberlain as Blackthorne looks big and thoughtful, has today's lean stars beat all over, tho I wouldn't call his character entirely sympathetic. He didn't seem to use much of his opportunities to learn more Japanese. He seemed, even after being accorded honours, after discussing fate and karma with Mariko, and falling intensely in love with her, to remain a greedy swashbuckler anxious to capture the Jesuit's black ship for its gold. The audience is lead to believe that although the woman he loved has died, he's never going to get back to England with loot, he STILL wants the treasure.
I wondered if Japan was so hospitable to the Christians as is shown, and was surprised the Japanese did not have more armaments, basically just swords, bows and arrows, and Ninja stars.
There seemed to be many places where the picture was very grainy, or "dirty", but nothing that made us cringe. The disks all had very slight hesitations at the opening Paramount display but otherwise played perfectly.
I was struck by the music, and wished there was a Cd of the soundtrack highlights.
The next viewing we will try the subtitles, and I assume many puzzling plot developments will be much clearer. Then I will rewatch Seven Samurai!:)
In case the previous poster hasn't learned, or even wanders back here, the box is about 7.5" high, 5.5" deep, and 1.375" wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks