What's new

Shogun coming to DVD?!?! (1 Viewer)

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
I purposely steered clear of this thread in the hopes of avoiding the inevitable.
Well, so much for that! It's obvious this set is a must buy...I haven't seen this since it first aired.
I hate you guys! I hate you!:D

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Nice.. I have only seen a few episodes on television.. (not the whole series) and I did enjoy it..

I will definatly have to buy this one on DVD!

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
what about Noble House? i thought both the book and the miniseries were very good. Had pierce brosnan and john rhys-davies. any word about dvd release?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
what about Noble House? i thought both the book and the miniseries were very good. Had pierce brosnan and john rhys-davies. any word about dvd release?
Not in an official release.

Well it is less that two weeks until "Shogun" arrives. My patience is going to be tested.

Terry H

Second Unit
Only a week away and still no reviews? I liked this very much when it first aired but I have read about the terrible shape of the source material. I need to see a video/sound quality review(s) before purchase.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I need to see a video/sound quality review(s) before purchase
I don't think Paramount will foist a bad transfer on us. But if some how this occurs, Mr Blythe would never hear the end of it. I counting on Paramount to give us a nice transfer.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I would probably buy the set blindly as it is one of my all time fav tv shows.
The other is Centennial, anybody know when that is comin out ?
:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
USA? recently ran the series on cable, and IIRC it was digitally remastered and looked very, very good.

jdg

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
That was Bryan Brown, not Pierce Brosnan, and it wasn't a mini-series, but a theatrical movie around 2 hours. Oh, if only it WAS a mini-series! I think I liked this book even better than "Shogun" (it's been years since I read them), but the movie had to cut out WAY too much to make it 2 hours.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
That was Bryan Brown, not Pierce Brosnan, and it wasn't a mini-series, but a theatrical movie around 2 hours. Oh, if only it WAS a mini-series! I think I liked this book even better than "Shogun" (it's been years since I read them), but the movie had to cut out WAY too much to make it 2 hours.
Wrong! "Noble House" was a mini-series with Pierce Brosnan and John Rhys-Davies. I have it on VHS tape. As far as I know it is not available in a legal DVD version.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit concerned about the screen-specific audio commentary. It sounds like trying to listen to it is going to be real screwy. Considering that we were once told the the source elements for "Shogun" were in terrible shape, I'm going to be real interested in seeing for myself what kind of a transfer Paramount has produced.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
It was on the Hallmark channel not to long ago and looked stunning. Far better than I could have imagined.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm a bit concerned about the screen-specific audio commentary. It sounds like trying to listen to it is going to be real screwy.
The commentary is self-contained on the disc of bonus features, where the specific scenes are duplicated. You don't have to navigate among several discs to find the various scenes throughout the miniseries.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The commentary is self-contained on the disc of bonus features, where the specific scenes are duplicated. You don't have to navigate among several discs to find the various scenes throughout the miniseries.
Early on before there were any reviews being done, I thought that the scene specific commentary was going to be like most other commentaries in that it would be a selectable audio option. This is not the prefered method as far as I'm concerned.

FredK

Second Unit
I can't wait for this box!!!!!!!!
Paraphrasing The Godfather ad - "this is the reason for DVD." :D
edit: just finished the review, I'm hoping the BTS footage includes some insight from Clavell on the whole process, he was a big part of making the mini-series I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks