What's new

Shoe polishers - what are your best tips for getting them to look their finest? (1 Viewer)

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Panty hose ... I learned this from a woman who runs a shine business in Denver ... Also making sure that you work the polish deeply into the leather ...

If you're ever in DIA ... Make sure you go to Concourse B (United Concourse) and get a shine from Jill ... You're shoes will look like mirrors and she'll give you lots of tips ... She'll work the polish into your shoes so aggresively that it'll feel like you're getting a foot massage ...

While you're there don't be surprised to see boxes of shoes that ppl have shipped to her to shine for them ...

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Remove the laces. Apply the polish/wax all over the shoe. Let it dry (doesn't take long, a couple minutes maybe) and brush off with a dry brush. Then buff with a soft cloth. If you have the right kind of shoe and want a really shiney toe then apply the polish/wax with a rag and buff it off with a slightly damp cloth. Use your finger tip in the rag to pick up a little water and do the buffing. Little circles...not the swiping motion of whipping the cloth across the toe. It will take a lot of buffing but will create the famous "spit shine." You don't have to do the spit shine to the entire shoe, just the toe.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Oh, yeah...another trick I've used. If you're using one of those Kiwi polishes that comes in a small can then you can melt the polish and apply it wet. Open the can and light the polish on fire. After a pool develops then cover it with the lid. Don' blow it out or you'll blow polish all over the place. And don't tighten the lid on or you'll have a hard time getting it off without spilling. Just place the lid on enough to snuff out the fire.

Then use a rag to rub the melted polish onto the shoe and buff. The melted polish in the can will eventually set up again and will be as good as new.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Will this damage the leather?
I doubt it. It's only about as hot as hot candle wax. I've done it a lot to leather shoes and it never ruined or even softened the leather. It had no effect other than giving it a good polish. Of course, they weren't really expensive shoes, but they were good quality. If you're worried then you can let it cool a little bit and apply the polish while it's gooey instead of runny.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I go into the bathroom at a bar or restaurant and use the machine with the spinning buffing cylinders. :D

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Isn't this forum great? You can go online, ask some wierd out there question, and get a response back within a couple of hourse from half a dozen people. The internet is GREAT! Thanks guys! any more advice of course welcome. I bought that "Tana" stuff from Walmart. I think it's like Kiwi. Is there a best kind to get?

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
No ... You can also use a small torch to heat the polish while it's on the shoe ... But you better keep it off the shoe and keep it moving ... All the pro's use these ...
try heating the polish ... working it in ... then applying another coat ... The woman I mentioned above would apply 4 or 5 coats ...

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Wow thanks guys, they're looking much better now! Am just letting them dry for a few mins then will brush in and buff. In doing this, I never realized how bad a shape my shoes were in. These are a $200CDN pair of Clarks, so I don't know how expensive they are compared to your thoughts, but are in bad shape after a year-year and a half of almost daily use. Any general maintenance tips for dress shoes?

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Paul --- Dress shoes ... Try not to wear the same pair 2 days in a row ... Shoe trees ... The Cedar Ones are nice but even plastic is better than nothing ... And the step you just completed ... Shining isn't just cosmetic, the polish protects and moisturizes the leather ... Try to polish at least once a month ...

This will make your shoes last a long time ... Something you may not know also ... Heel can be replaced on dress shoes ... If the heel is worn down ... 20 bucks will replace it for a pair ...

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yes...shoe trees are a must. They also make polishing a little easier. They keep the shoe firm so you can work in the polish and they give you something to hold on to. My dress shoes need to be taken in soon for their third heel...they are about 7 years old, but I only wear them once a week and they still look great.
To keep them shiny, do what Sam suggests and give them a good polishing about once a month. Also, you can give them a light buffing occasionally between polishings.
Personally I prefer the Kiwi brand. I've tried a few others but the Kiwi always has the right consistancy...not too gooey and not too dry. The sponge applicators work well if you don't want to melt the polish...but I've had more success with the melting. Plus, it's so much more fun! :)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I apply the Kiwi polish to the shoe, melt it with a cigarette lighter, and rub it in. After this, I then spit-shine the toe section and lightly buff it. Repeat once a week for an excellent shine if you wear the same shoes every day. Avoid walking through wet grass or standing water immediately after you polish your shoes. If you do, you'll just have to rebuff them. Growing up around the military had it's advantages. ;)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hmmm.... they didn't come with shoe trees. where can I get them? and how much are the shoe trees? do you have to get them for you size specifically?

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
just go down to Walmart (or whatever is in your area ... Target, etc.) and look in the shoe polish area ...

Plastic ones are 5 - 10 bucks ...

Cedar can run from 12 - 30 bucks ...

They'll be adjustable ... A nice pair of cedar can be found for 15 bucks ...

Also ... I try to make it a habit that whenever I buy a new pair of quality shoes to go buy another pair of trees ...

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
so probably about $20 + Canadian then. Good ideas guys, I'll head over to Walmart when I get back home. (no target or kmart in canada) and see what they have. (I was just there buying the polish the other day, and didn't even see the trees. If they were reasonable I would have picked those up too). Only have one pair of dress shoes that I can wear. You think I should get a second eh?... what are your favorite kind of dress shoes? As I mentioned, I'm wearing Clarks right now. Have worn Rockport and Floorsheim before. Any recommendations or shoe reviews out there? Wait, let me guess, www.shoereview.com ?? :) but the problem is too many egos there posting way negative reviews about other shoe brands. Half of those reviews you have to throw out either because some shoe-idiot wrote them or they're biassed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread