Shocked over Drew Carey decision

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ChadKo, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ChadKo

ChadKo Stunt Coordinator

I am really surprised that the Drew Carey Show is just "under consideration". Its a favorite for the fans here, as most of you know and it was WILDLY popular. It would sell well and I hope WB arent basing sales of that from the single disc DVD. I wont buy single disc DVDs for only a few episodes and I'm sure other people won't either.

Chad Koenig

2. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

Are there possibly some dense music rights issues with it?

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It was wildly popular for a few seasons, but at the end it couldn't get arrested. Did they even broadcast the final couple of seasons?

I seem to remember the show was still in production because ABC had signed a multi-year extension and couldn't terminate it without massive costs, but the ratings were so poor they didn't even put it on the schedule.

4. Eric James

Eric James Agent

Half of season 8 and all of season 9 aired in the summer.

5. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

ABC shot themselves in the foot with The Drew Carey Show, shuffling it all over the schedule during the 8th season so nobody knew when it was on. It even disappeared for much of the regular season, as much of the eighth year up for a summer run with new episodes.

The network finally settled on a regular night and time in the last year, but by then it was too late because the show ran out of steam with more format changes (Mimi moving in with Drew with her son and Drew's son-in-law Gus, the department store offices where Drew worked becoming a software development company, the return of Nikki arc, etc).

As for the series as a whole, this being a sitcom it would be stupid for any musician to bar the release of this show on home video simply because their music was used (and certainly not during the first season with "Moon Over Parma" sung by Drew himself as the theme).

6. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

Buying the single disc DVD is a vote for season sets. If you do not buy the single disc DVD to cast your vote, you have no right to complain if it never makes it to season sets. You didn't do anything to help. I know, I know, I don't like single disc DVDs either. But, you and I don't work for the WB or have any say in what they do. They can do whatever they want and this is the way they decided to do things..... whether you think it's a good idea or bad. It doesn't matter, and complaining won't change anything. At least the WB is considering it and allowing the fans to "vote". For crying out loud, it's under $10. It could be worse. Sony released the 1st season of Barney Miller about 2 years ago and still there's no news on the 2nd season. The 1st season didn't sell well so Sony just decided to drop it. At least the WB is willing to test the waters. If Drew Carey never makes it to season sets, the blame goes to people like you who won't humble themselves and fork out the $10 to vote. Worse case, you have 6 episodes of the show. Best case, we get season sets in the near future. And all for under $10! Look at what happened to F-Troop. Season sets are coming now. Not buying the single disc DVD tells the WB that the public is not interested in Drew Carey. Plain and simple. Do with this as you wish.

7. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

"The Drew Carey Show" was chugging along and doing fairly well in the ratings. It continued to do well as the seasons progressed. It debuted sometime in 1995.

I can't recall the exact timeline, but the show was given a multi-year commitment at a time when it was "still" doing pretty well -- I think around 2000 or 2001 (don't quote me on that, though...)

As I recall, the show returned the following season (after the deal was signed), and didn't perform as well in the ratings as it had (same for "Dharma & Greg" as I recall at that time). The ratings continued to fall for the show.

As such, the multi-year deal looked to be a mistake on the part of ABC.

That's not to say that it wouldn't be popular on DVD.

I wonder how they'd handle some of the "gimicky" shows (such as the ones where viewers had to look for all the mistakes in the episodes and call in and vote)...

To be fair, "The Drew Carey Show" was on the third-place network at that time, and they had some very weak lead-in shows...and a weak schedule overall tends to hurt the entire lineup (even if the shows are good).

The show had probably run its course, but considering some of the shows that have been released on DVD, I don't see why "The Drew Carey Show" wouldn't be a prime candidate for release.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

actually, Under Consideration is a great thing considering the company we're talking about!! In contrast, Alice was a top 5 show for a couple seasons and it's run matched Drew's 9 years and there's "no plans" for a season set for that.

9. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Interesting sitcom comparison in terms of longetivity, Jay, however Alice is not considered a sitcom classic (and it isn't really) since it doesn't seem to be played in syndicated reruns anymore -- at least not to my knowledge. As a result, most people under 28 never even heard of the series. I saw most of the episodes during Alice's original run on CBS, but only because nothing better was on at the time plus it was long a lead-in to The Jeffersons (which IS a classic).

Oddly enough, the movie that the Alice series is based on Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, starring Ellen Burstyn, happens to be a classic as it won the Academy Award. Ellen was a great actress. Linda Lavin was.....a singer.

10. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

That is the issue facing many "older" sitcoms and dramas.

I think many of you in their 30s (like me) remember when cable networks featured reruns of shows and older movies almost "exclusively" in their lineups.

Times have changed significantly in the past 10 years or so.

There is a considerable amount of new and original programming on cable networks. Not only that, young people of the 80s (like me) used to watch shows at that time from the 60s and 70s. Nowadays, they are airing shows from the 80s and 90s.

"Airwolf" was a fairly popular show back when I was a kid. We got the first season on DVD in May 2005. I dunno if it did well or not because as far as I know there aren't any plans (at least announced) for a second season release.

Personally, I think the bigger problem stems from the fact that most consumers aren't terribly interested in older product on DVD.

Add to that the fact that they'll do things like release "syndicated" cuts, and consumers become even more leery of older product.

Obviously, "The Drew Carey Show" isn't as old as some (mid-90s basically). However, I do agree with the individual who wondered if music rights might become an issue for that show.

I still think it could be a fairly popular release...and will probably get a release on DVD.

It'd be interesting to get some commentaries from the cast and crew on the show and perhaps a retrospective of some sort.

11. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I've wondered if perhaps it's an issue of what people will and wont buy on DVD in genre. Dramas vs Comedies vs things like SciFi. Even if the ratings are lower it's a known factor that SciFi shows do well on DVD because the fanbase is more likely to purchase sets. Looking at my shelf I honestly have not a single comedy on DVD. I just dont' feel the need, what's fun to watch on tv isn't nessecarily something I want to own.

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'd rather see, and I think a much better seller would be, Whose Line Is it Anyway.

13. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I'd rather see the British version of Whose Line Is It Anyway rather than the american one.

14. RobinO

RobinO Stunt Coordinator

Katherine,

I am with you on that one. I would be so happy to get copies of the British version of Whose Line. You can't beat the people on that show!

Robin

15. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Yes ABC did shuffle the show a bit during the last couple seasons which hurt the already sinking ratings (typical with tired sitcoms) and then they simply randomly burned the remaining episodes during whatever summer that was (I can't remember now). It simply faded away. Sad for what was, a decent show in its early run.

16. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Katherine has a good point about "genre" shows...

Science Fiction Shows -- no matter how niche the audience -- seem to do well because that demographic tends to buy DVD product in greater numbers...and they are generally willing to pay a premium for sci-fi shows on DVD.

I've actually found comedies to be some of the most enjoyable series on DVD...but in general I have been drawn more to action-type drama shows in the format.

"Syndication cuts" have made me very leery of catalog comedy titles ever since getting burned on the first season of "The Cosby Show" on DVD.

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

I don't understand how testing the waters by releasing a full season is *worse* than testing the waters by releasing a single-disc compilation.

If sales aren't good, then would you rather be stuck with just a single disc, or with the first season set?

I follow Sony's release schedule pretty closely, and they have been putting out some astonishingly obscure TV shows in full-season (and even full-series) sets. If there's one thing they do very well, it's TV on DVD.

18. Nick_TV

Nick_TV Stunt Coordinator

19. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I don't like either version of Whose Line Is it Anyway, because they're both terrible. When I want to see improv done right, I'll watch Jonathan Winters or Robin Williams.

20. ChadKo

ChadKo Stunt Coordinator

Whose Line was a brilliant show. Both sides of the Atlantic had great actors on it. Thats another question I wanted to ask at the chat. To say that show was terrible is just unfair. They are very talented improv comics and that cant be denyed. However, the show is one of those that you either love or hate. Theres not much middle ground. My assumption would be that if they get released, they will coincide with the Drew Carey Show. Maybe WB was waiting for that Green Room show with Drew Carey that was supposed to come out last year. I thought that got delayed but I am not sure. Does anybody know about that?
    Chad