What's new

SHOCKED: Movies that don't have special editions yet (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was looking through my DVD collection the other day and checking out which ones needed to be upgraded from the bare bones versions to the special editions that are currently available. I decided to make note of which DVDs simply do NOT have a special edition at all. So this list isn't about movies that aren't on DVD yet, or DVDs that are SEs but you think they should be 2 disc sets, etc. I'm talking about movies currently on DVD that have NO special features at all and you're absolutely surprised the studios haven't released one yet, either because they were big box office hits, critical favorites or have found a dedicated cult following. Feel free to add to my list. This list involves region 1 releases only.

Air Force One
Beetlejuice
The Birdcage
Creepshow
Dick Tracy
Escape from LA
48 Hours
Fright Night
The Game
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - does have a commentary though-
Misery
Nightbreed
Poltergeist
Prince of Darkness
Raising Arizona
The Road Warrior
Scary Movie
Scream
They Live
True Lies
Under Siege
Wayne's World

I'm genuinely surprised that none of these have even a marginally decent special edition DVD release yet.

Any other additions?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Scream has been available as an R1 SE for ages, however it's still non-anamorphic (and only the R-rated cut).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wonder what happened to THE GAME.

DAvid prior who worked on the panic room special edition was somewhat cryptic but seemed to give the impression a spec ed was forthcoming for the game.

in a thread a year ago or so.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Strange, isn't it?

Universal has released a single disc special edition in region 2 earlier this year, however the extras are somewhat underwhelming which is why I never upgraded. I still have the hope that an R1 release, should it ever come, will be a lot more special.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I don't know how shocked I am, but I'd definitely love one for The Road Warrior and Bram Stoker's Dracula (I believe the latter is coming '07).

True Lies should have one, too (though I ain't a big fan of the movie, I am a Cameron fan).

But The Birdcage, Dick Tracy, Escape from LA, They Live and Wayne's World - ? You really think these are deserving of Special Editions (with all the bells and whistles)?

Sebastien S

Second Unit
The Hand that rocks the Cradle
The Devil's Own
The Ghost and the Darkness
Face/Off
Dangerous Minds
Wolf
Time Cop
Twins
Kintergarden Cop
Sleepers

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's not just hits from the 80s and 90s- only recently has there been an announcement made for a Special Edition of The Punisher starring Tom Jane and John Travolta, and even last year's Brokeback Mountain has yet to receive the SE treatment, though I wouldn't be surprised if one was in the works already. More double-dipping for the consumer- rats!

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, Road Warrior is in the works? I think True Lies would have had one by now if not for 9/11.

I'd probably buy a Dick Tracy SE. I think it's an interesting movie.

I'll second Raising Arizona, and I'd like a new version of The Rocketeer.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I thought a FACE/OFF SE was forthcoming. As for the John Carpenter titles mentioned, I just want R1 versions of STARMAN, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, and THEY LIVE with the commentary tracks found in their Europeean counterparts.

And don't get me started on THE GAME...

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
BEETLEJUICE most of all, I can't believe there is still no SE for that. Its crazy to me and its one that keeps getting mentioned over and over. Its like my favorite movie of all time, seriously. After a wait like this, I want a jam packed DVD, with a full view of the whole day-o shrimp dinner scene ;)

I'm fine with the Wayne's World we already have, has enough special features for me. Dick Tracy I'd love to see, I haven't purchased the DVD yet waiting for an SE. Hocus Pocus I'd like to see an SE of as well as the first two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies that I also have not purchased yet in hopes for some SEs. Birdcage is one of my fav movies and I might get a SE if it had good enough stuff on it. True Lies, YES, where is this too? I love this movie and really wanna pick this up, but have held off once again in hopes of a SE.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ALL 3 HONEy i shrunk movies need at least to be given better treatmant.

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was the first I thought of. Even besides the lack of the features, it's not even available in widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks