What's new

'Shizzle My Nizzle' (1 Viewer)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
so, how long before someone tries to benefit from the fact that street slang is now legally considered a foreign language in the UK?
here in the US we've already seen the city of Portland, Oregon attempt to hire an interpreter to speak Klingon in case any mental patients refused to speak any other language.:rolleyes:they only backed off after it became public.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
That was already tried in Oakland a few years ago. That's where the term "ebonics" originated from.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK now, I see absolutely NO problem with a slang word making it in the dictionnary, it happens all the time. So exactly what is the problem in this case Mark?

--
Holadem

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
it happens all the time
That's what I have a problem with. I'm not really thrilled with slangs being in the dictionary in the first place.

But I'm not going to go around putting up posters and signing petitions about it. I just think it's silly to put stuff like that in the dictionary.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My problem with slang in the dictionary is that many times, the use of the slang only lasts a few years. I have a feeling that in a few years, the term "bling-bling" will not be utilized to the degree it is today because it has been played out.

Oxford does this every year though. Adding a few slang words to trump of interest in their newest edition of the dictionary.

J

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Jutin,

But that happens with hundreds of words in the English language already.

There are words in there that were once used say in the 18th or 19th centuries that no one uses anymore either, but theyre still in there.

When is the last time you heard someone use the word sanguinary? :)

EdR

Second Unit
That's what I have a problem with. I'm not really thrilled with slangs being in the dictionary in the first place.
Er, there are lots of slang words in the dictionary, most of which we don't consider slang any longer because they are commonplace.

It's a fact of language that new words are incorporated into common speech, and old words are dropped.

It seems weird when it happens during your lifetime, with words you recognize, but it's a process that has always happened (before the invention of dictionaries, and before the word 'slang' was coined) and always will.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
I fear the day when "Bling Bling" becomes "commonplace".
i don't. i welcome that day as it will be the final sign of the apocalypse and death will rain from the sky bringing a swath of carnage through the land like a pestilence. my only wish is that i shall remain alive long enough to watch all the people who say "bling bling" eviscerated. oh sweet slumber of ages....i bid thee welcome!!!

kevin t

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think "bling-bling" is known and used by enough people that it deserves to make the Oxford dictionary as much as all the slang that has preceeded it.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I've only ever heard "bling-bling" used as a descriptive term for really tacky/gaudy jewelry.

Then again, I'm usually (and willingly) out of touch with post-80s pop culture :p)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have only heard the term "bling-bling" used in rap songs to date. Thats not to say urban types and other sorts of surburban white teens who buy most of the rap albums, don't use it on a daily basis. I just know from a personal standpoint that I have never used it in conversation nor have had any friends use the term. I guess I don't travel in hip circles anymore.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks