Shiva vs. Titanic vs. Stryke

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Micah Wells, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Micah Wells

Micah Wells Agent

I am looking to build my sub. i have been researching on this forum for a few months now, and thought that I had decided what I was going to do. I had settled on the Shiva driver w/ the PE 250 watt amp. I was going to build one of the ported designs on the Adire website. But after reading more, I ma wondering if I should be looking at one of the drivers from Dayton or Stryke. And if I do choose one of the other drivers, is it possible to build the same enclosure as the Shiva? I am about 70/30 HT to music, so I need good HT output, which is why I am leaning toward the ported design. Size is a concern, so this thing cannot be huge, but the 20x20x20 size would be pretty good. Also, I was planning on using this as down-firing, mainly because I don't want to mess with grills and need some protection form the children. Any help is appreciated, and I apologize in advance if I am duplicating a thread, but I searched and didn't come up with much that answered my questions directly.

Micah Wells

2. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Just a note... the shiva's seem to be out of stock until next year.

3. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

That's incorrect; Shivas will be in stock next week.

Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

4. Doug Montgomery

I too am going to embark on the DIY Sub. I will be using the "SonoTubes". I like to call SiloSub!!

I was dirrected to the Stryke also, but have been playing with both the Stryke AV15 MKII and the Adire Brahma 15. It "appears" based off Bassbox 6 Pro that the Brahma would work better. I wanted TWO drivers per sub with a end resultant impedence of 4 ohms, but I cannot achieve that with either company.

Doug Montgomery

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

When they first went out of stock there was talk of February for a restock date so thats what I put on my site, but changes were made and the production date bumped up dramatically. Sorry for any confusion.

6. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

7. Micah Wells

Micah Wells Agent

The enclosure that I am looking at right now is the 85L vented design on the Adire website. If I am correct, the vented design should give me more output for HT than the 88.5L sealed design. Can I use this same enclosure if I choose to go with the Tiatnic or Stryke 12 inch driver?

8. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

I haven't modeled these for you, but if you don't already have it, you should download yourself a copy of WinISD freeware and give them a whirl...

Theoretically:

The Stryke AV12 usually needs a smaller box but more power to achieve the similar extension and SPL than the Shiva. If you use the same box... it will probably result in slightly lower bass extension. Given the driver is less efficient, the amplifier may be undersized though.

You should try modeling several alternatives...
    Rob

PS: you are correct, the vented sub will give you more output

9. Micah Wells

Micah Wells Agent

Rob-

Thanks for the help. I downloaded the WinISD software and loaded the specs for the Dayton MKII. The program shows that the vented volume is 136L at 21.65 Hz. What frequency should I be looking at to get good sound/output from this driver setup? I don't fully understand the tuning frequency, the program suggests tunig to 35hz. But I see many threads where guys are tuning to 20 hz. Thanks again for your help. Also, is the PE 250 watt amp enough for this driver?

Micah

10. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I hope these may me of some help.

Shiva MK III, 145l, 20Hz, 250W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Titanic MK II, 150l, 20Hz, 250W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AV12 MK II, 75l, 20Hz, 250W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Doug Montgomery

Let me take a newbie's point of view on the above and hopefully someone can critique my observations:

The Shiva's cone will exceed recommended cone excursion at about 32 Hz. It's output is approx 111 SPL.

The Dayton Titanic MkII has equivilent SPL (since it is modeled off the Shiva), but it does not exceed recommended cone excursion (a good thing [​IMG] ).

However, the Stryke only produces a SPL of approx 107 SPL, which will be like half the volume in sound. Granted the box is approx half the size. If we increased the size of the box wouldn;t the SPL increase?

Thanks

12. Rob Formica

Increasing the box volume will make it player lower rather than louder. The AV12 really needs more power to make it shine.

Efficiency versus Size is usually one of the basic compromises in subwoofers (also the reason they need over 1kW of power for the Sunfire subs)...

If you want a small box and are willing to buy a bigger amp : AV12
    If you are willing to use a larger box and have a small amp: Shiva (or Titanic)

Given more power, the AV12 should be able surpass the other two in SPL ... but they are all very good subwoofer drivers.

Rob

13. Rob Formica